PDA

View Full Version : camera path

rikardlassenius
03-03-2005, 03:06 PM
newbie question:
just modeled a benden cable and i want to animate the camera to follow it. how do i do that. been fiddling around with the motion options tab all night and can't get it to work.
:confused:

Silkrooster
03-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Let's say you want to follow a ball moving left to right. Create your keys to make the ball move. You select the camera, press the m key to bring up motion options. At the top of that window where it says target item, you select the ball.
Now if you do not have the grid turned on, it will look like nothing is happening. So make sure the grid is on or you create a ground plane to use, so you can see the camera movement.
Now let's try making the camera move with the ball instead of following it. Make sure the ball is in view of the camera. Press the m key to bring up motion options. Change the target item back to none. Above that where it says parent item, select the ball. Again make sure something is there for the ground or use the grid to see movement.
Hope this helps
Silk

rikardlassenius
03-04-2005, 02:01 AM
the problem is that i want the camera to follow along the cable - that is not moving. the cable just sits there, and the camera moves along it.

Silkrooster
03-04-2005, 06:12 PM
One way is to create a key frame at each end of the cable where the camera should be. Then place in between keyframes to make the camera match the cable.
This could also be done using a null, creating the keyframes and then parent the camera to the null.
Silk

toby
03-04-2005, 09:58 PM
You can also select a row of points along the cable, create a spline and save it as a motion path.

But if you want it to look good or realistic, animate it yourself - most motion plug-ins to animate this for you will give you unwanted movement, for example if the camera points straight down while 'targeted' it will bank 180 degrees instantly. If it has the 'align to path' modifier it will flip backwards as soon as it stops moving.

I agree that Parenting it to a null is a good idea.

Cunhambebe
03-05-2005, 03:16 PM
You can hit "m" on your keyboard and choose target cam to wherever you want. I do agree that animating the whole thing yourself is definitely a good idea, but it's difficult, though.

rikardlassenius
03-06-2005, 06:08 AM
i'm having big troubles saving a motion path and loading it.
could you guide me thru that, please?

Wonderpup
03-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Hi rikardlassenius,

I've never played with this before, so this may not be a complete explaination;

what I did was select the points on my model, copy paste them to a new layer, then selected them in order and made a spline of them. Then I went to File-export-path to motion and exported it out to a folder.

I then went to layout, selected the model I wanted to follow the path and went to file- load- load motion file- this loaded the spline as a motion path and automaticly attached the selected object to the path, with keyframes every five frames.

Not sure how to adjust the timing yet, but I hop this helps a bit.

rikardlassenius
03-07-2005, 06:44 AM
thanks for the help.

but, i must be stupid, cos i can't get it to work.
been doing what you explained. drawing a spline,
expoting it as pathtomotion. but it doesn't really
export anything. the folder is empty. and ofcourse
there's nothing to load, then.

i don't get it...

SplineGod
03-08-2005, 11:47 AM
Ther motion file is there, you just have to show all files. You have to put a .mot on the end. Also each vertex on the spline is 5 frames apart in Layout. Also if youre interested Ive recently released a 3.7 hour video on splines that covers just about everything that can be done with them. :)
http//:www.3dtrainingonline.com/splines.html

toby
03-08-2005, 02:54 PM
You can hit "m" on your keyboard and choose target cam to wherever you want. I do agree that animating the whole thing yourself is definitely a good idea, but it's difficult, though.

It's not that hard to get it better than the automated plug-ins, besides, if you're rendering more than just stills, you need to learn this, right?

Think about where you want the camera to be at each second.
Put a keyframe there.
Put a keyframe at every half-second and adjust the in-betweens.

Might be easier than getting those plug-ins to do what you want!