PDA

View Full Version : Syntheyes to LW

ubernaut
03-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Ive been tracking shots in Syntheyes and they look good. However when I export to LW the Focal Length of the camera is way to long. Any suggestions on what to do in Syntheyes? If not, does anyone know of any Syntheyes forums that get a lot of hits?

Cheers

richardo
03-04-2005, 02:20 AM
you should send a mail to Russ Andersson the writter of sytheyes...................
for support..................he has always pointed me in the right direction within a day of sending the mail.....................very good support :-)

But maybe you should try adding a scale or measurement constrainent to your tracked solution................this may help with your focal length problem..........

LFGabel
03-04-2005, 02:40 AM
I do a lot of tracking/matchmoving and SynthEyes works great going into LW. Have you set up a coordinate system? That may help.

Lightwolf
03-04-2005, 04:12 AM
I've never had that problem either, you might have to set up your track differently. I do assume your focal length is wrong in SE as well ... is it?

Cheers,
Mike

ubernaut
03-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys. Still kinda noob'n my way around. I'll give these a try.

LFGabel
03-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Also, take a look at the 3d points in the top/left/front viewports. Do they look like they should? Sometimes you'll get a solve that looks fine from the camera view, but is all wonky. Mathematically it is correct, but it could never exist in reality.

I assume you've read the manual cover to cover?

gordonrobb
03-15-2005, 05:51 AM
Sorry to barge into this thread. But do any of you guys that are getting Syntheyes to work well have any examples I could be pointed to. I have PFhoe, but don't think it is good enough so am considering Syntheyes. I want to see a good composite though.

ubernaut
03-15-2005, 10:12 AM
I might have some examples but Im pretty sure the start paper work I signed at the begining of the show limits me from showing any WIP or images until release. Its really not that big a deal though. However, Ive read that some egg heads used Syntheyes to track some tough shots for "The Aviator". I have found that Syntheyes will actually auto track some shots better than Boujou can with manuals. But there is also some vise versa on that matter. Knowing a couple different tracking programs couldnt hurt. Besides, Syntheyes is WAY cheaper than Boujou.

Cheers

Lightwolf
03-15-2005, 10:21 AM
I'd post something as well, but I'm NDAed as well until the project I've used it on is released, or at least premiered, sorry.

But I did a 1552 frame track in 2K, a b*tch of a track actually, and SE performed extremely well.

Cheers,
Mike

LFGabel
03-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Lightwolf: 1552 frames at 2K? Holy smoke! I think the longest I've ever done so far is about 300 frames.

gordonrobb: I have some personal tests on my website, plus last week's Alias had face tracking in 2 shots, both of which I tracked with SynthEyes, although one needed a lot of manual hand tracking afterwards.

gordonrobb
03-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Lee

Thanks for the link. Love the face replace bit. Must try that. I will keep popping into your site. Unfortunately, we are behing in Alias - still waiting for the new season to start.

Anyway, found some cool stuff on Syntheyes and decided to go for it. Will be trying it out over the coming week (hobiest - work very slow).

LFGabel
03-15-2005, 12:52 PM
gordonrobb: I even have a version of Jennifer Garner's face digitally replacing mine... It looks totally bizarre, and no, it will *never* be made public (fortunately for me). ;)

Syntheyes is especially good for solving moving camera / moving object shots in one pass. Pretty useful when the moving object is passing through varying lighting conditions.

Lightwolf
03-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Lightwolf: 1552 frames at 2K? Holy smoke! I think the longest I've ever done so far is about 300 frames.
Yep, a long establishing shot for a motion picture. With nothing to track for a couple of frames toward the end. I solved it by manually tracking over the critical area until SE could do a decent solve. Oh, and pesky actors moving all the time as well.
Once I got the hang of SE, it took me a day to do.

Cheers,
Mike

LFGabel
03-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Lightwolf: Nice! Yeah, SynthEyes's workflow is pretty fast. The smooth/filter option on the supervised tracks has saved my bacon a couple of times, filling in and interpolating occluded points.

Lightwolf
03-17-2005, 09:01 AM
On a side note, Russ Anderson has just opened up a forum dedicated to SynthEyes: http://cybermessageboard.fatcow.com/ssonte/index.php

Cheers,
Mike