PDA

View Full Version : New Update for LightWave [8]

Kurtis
03-03-2005, 09:20 AM
New Maintenance Update for LightWave [8]

NewTek is pleased to announce the latest free maintenance update to LightWave [8]. Designated Version 8.2.1, the update addresses a number of issues that effect the operation of plug-ins. The affected plug-ins are sceneeditor.p, sestandardbanks.p, alias.p, psd.p, sgi.p, drla.p, sgi64.p, tiff.p, cineonfp.p, rla.p, epsexport.p, and bonetools.p.

To download the new LightWave [8] version 8.2.1 update, please visit:
http://www.lightwave3d.com/downloads/updates/lw821

NewTek is also running a limited time Add-A-Seat offer. Registered commercial owners of LightWave [8] may purchase additional full seats of LightWave [8] with electronic documentation for $495. This offer is available direct through NewTek and our authorized reseller channel. For more information visit: http://www.newtek.com/buynow.

Emmanuel
03-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Wow !!
Thanks NewTek, this is a very quick update, I thought it would take longer !

operation
03-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Hi,

did you resolve the problem of flicking ( interlace problem) ??
I read that you corrected it a post, but it seems it's not included in this update. :mad:

Can you tell me when this update will be available. I can't render proprely for TV since 8.0.1!!!

I am a bit supprised that thoses kinds of bugs were not detected before by your developers or beta testers.... ( almost 5 months with this bug and 3 updates...).

Hope to get this update soon, I have switched on an other software to make my projects. I am starting to not use LW often and to think to move on until to get a very, very stable version .... :(

thanks

ps: after rendering 6 times my scenes (radiosity+ motion blur+ HD) -time consuming even on a renderfarm and short delay - because my client called me back 6 times for this flicking problem...

I lost him, my money and my time ... you can guess why I am a bit angry...

my client was thinking that I was not profdessional, and I didn't know how to make interlace picture. And the delay was to short to switch on an other software.

MooseDog
03-03-2005, 11:41 AM
WOW!!

i'll download this now and put it to work.

please pass along congrats to the coding and development team for such fast, hard work.

tiler
03-03-2005, 11:58 AM
NewTek is also running a limited time Add-A-Seat offer. Registered commercial owners of LightWave [8]

i may be a bit simple here but does this mean, i can buy a complete new lightwave
with doggle and license key, if i am a registered user of lw8..my sons been bugging me for ages for his own copy

Signal to Noise
03-03-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm disappointed that Cycler isn't listed as a fix.

Oh well, I'll take the update anyway. Thanks! :)

UnCommonGrafx
03-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Operation,
That sucks, truly.

I have a friend (Bob Tasa) that has made a writer for LW that does interlace right. Hell, he can program it to do it wrong, if you'd like. ;) I told him that some folks might want this product but at the moment, it only writes to rtv. I know he can do other formats, as long as it's just a 'codec', i.e., avi in particular.

I haven't tried the update but I'm not sure I would see it.

Oh, and kudos to the dev team for only having this be a .0.01 upgrade. Tells me that they want bigger and better things expected of them.

JML
03-03-2005, 01:22 PM
is the particle emitter bug fix in this update ?

(the particle emiter would act weird while rendering on screamernet)
(this bug has been confirmed in the 8.2bug thread by somebody else too)

Lewis
03-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Thanks to whole NewTek Team. This was pretty fast patch/fix :).

operation
03-03-2005, 05:12 PM
UnCommonGrafx: thanks.

hi,

16 bugs corrected in 2 months .... (7 on bones routines)

How many coders are working on lightwave ? (maybe it's confidential )
Are you looking for coders ?

Or are you waiting for "free code" from external user with the new "open SDK" for upgrading LW themself.

For exemple: Free plugins to make better dynamics, render engines, etc..

All the adanced technology included in Lw aka Hypervoxel, Motion designer, Edgetools, Sasquach Lite, etc ... was coming from external developpers.

More the time pass, more I am thinking that Lw ( Layout.exe and Modeler.exe ) are just a shell (interface) to call plugins ( "***.P" files).

That means that you can upgrade your software like Maya by adding lscript and plugins.

Of course, as everyone, I know you had hard time to pass trough ( old to new team). But since this time I have seen attractive solution ( software - price): like XSI foundation. (I know it's not a complete version !! not a full XSI solution ). But as a professionnal -freelancer" , I can access to a highend technology for good price and and slowly upgrade it as I can.
I am sure you had noticed this marketing approch from XSI.

What is yours ?

1) how will you seduce new user to choose Lw than other 3D solutions ?
2) Be competitive in price ( you did it in past ... with the most chipper professional solution ps: it's not true for me anymore)?
3) Keep your old users to not change to an other software ?

I am asking this questiions seriously, I am looking professional answer from NT, please no fan answers, but objective answers.

After reading and posting in different forum ( not only LW forums but Maya, XSI,etc.. ), talking to different users. I had this feedback (it's my feeling and we can not share it of course; it's personal).

Most of old users like me, left LW for an other software for 2 reasons, in 10 years the evolution of LW was very slow (of course it's getting better everydays like tools in v8.0 for animation, better dynamics,etc.. ) but if you look at the evolution of other software in the same time (they largely exceeded LW and you can have them for a more competitive price).

Like daily user, one can be satified by LW but as a professional I prefer to invest in a software more expensive than to feel myself limited.

Sometime I get answers like " I don't see why you can't do this LW, I can do it easely ...." or "Lw rocks, I have rendered a radiosity film of 10 mn ... in 2 days" or "I did a character setup in 1 minute" or "I don't feel limited, maybe you do it the wrong way" or "did you read the documentation ?" ..... but honestly there is radiosity and radiosty.... setup and setup .... etc... but I am not looking of those kind of answers.

Sad, most of them are old LW users. And that they left Lw to be more productive (better feedback from developper - tools,etc.. ). Don't you think that Lw needs to be re-coded from scratch ?

thanks for all the answers you can give me to see more clearly.

Sincerly, Operation.

mkiii
03-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Anyone know if this patch fixes the extremely annoying modeler freeze bug?

I see no reference to modeler at all in the list of fixes, and I am currently unable to download the thing (I assume Newtek Europe DL site is overstretched).

evenflcw
03-04-2005, 01:44 AM
It doesn't seem to fix anything other than the mentioned plugins, which are simply replaced... so the core isn't touched at all and any problems you had with modelers is probably still there.

To give some credit to the team, I must say I am truelly happy to finally see the promised increased frequency of updates. If LW receives one of these bugfix updates about every month that would be awsome. Bugs are far more annoying than new features are desperetly needed. As UnCommonGrafx implied, I hope there's a couple more of these x.x.x updates coming in soon.

EDIT: I was able to dl from NT Europe yesterday a couple of hours after the release. After filling in the form the window went blank ( "The page cannot be displayed" ) and I thought it failed. But I hit refresh anyways and the Save file requester popped up. :)

Kurtis
03-04-2005, 05:02 AM
This update only addresses issues in the plug-ins listed.

This is not the final update for LightWave [8]. There are more to come, and they will address more issues and add more features.

We promised that there would be more updates more often, and this is part of that commitment.

Matt
03-04-2005, 10:12 AM
For European users:

As pointed out in another thread, if you follow the link from the email sent by NewTek the download page doen't seem to work, instead, navigate to the downloads page from the main site or follow this link, worked for me:

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/support/download.html

Cheers
Matt

Chuck
03-05-2005, 08:32 AM
UnCommonGrafx: thanks.

hi,

16 bugs corrected in 2 months .... (7 on bones routines)

How many coders are working on lightwave ? (maybe it's confidential )
Are you looking for coders ?

You are assuming nothing else has gone on but this work since the last update, and that is an incorrect assumption. The plugins are simply what was ready to release at this time, of the work that is in progress.

Or are you waiting for "free code" from external user with the new "open SDK" for upgrading LW themself.

For exemple: Free plugins to make better dynamics, render engines, etc..

All the adanced technology included in Lw aka Hypervoxel, Motion designer, Edgetools, Sasquach Lite, etc ... was coming from external developpers.

Apparently you've forgotten just how much was developed within the LightWave team, the overwhelming majority of the application in fact, and particular items such as subd surfaces, HDRI and the new features in the renderer and UV Mapping in 8.2 - just two months ago. You also do not appear to have noticed that we drew largely on experienced LightWave "external" developers in constituting the new in-house LightWave team. The team as it stands has an incredible amount of experience with dynamics, with character tools, with modeling and with rendering. We have plenty of in-house innovation driving the development of LightWave.

More the time pass, more I am thinking that Lw ( Layout.exe and Modeler.exe ) are just a shell (interface) to call plugins ( "***.P" files).

That means that you can upgrade your software like Maya by adding lscript and plugins.

Of course, as everyone, I know you had hard time to pass trough ( old to new team). But since this time I have seen attractive solution ( software - price): like XSI foundation. (I know it's not a complete version !! not a full XSI solution ). But as a professionnal -freelancer" , I can access to a highend technology for good price and and slowly upgrade it as I can.
I am sure you had noticed this marketing approch from XSI.

What is yours ?

1) how will you seduce new user to choose Lw than other 3D solutions ?
2) Be competitive in price ( you did it in past ... with the most chipper professional solution ps: it's not true for me anymore)?
3) Keep your old users to not change to an other software ?

I am asking this questions seriously, I am looking professional answer from NT, please no fan answers, but objective answers.

Our marketing and development teams are most certainly taking the current state of the 3D industry and the competitive field into account as we develop strategies for improving the product, maintaining current customers and reaching new customers. The new aggressive competitive upgrade offer and the more frequent update schedule are two elements of our efforts. Leading the way on 64-bit development is another. As we reach the appropriate time to discuss other elements and milestones in our efforts, we will make announcements to press and public.

operation
03-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Hi,
thanks for the fast answer. Sorry I have been busy to answer back.

I was hoping to see some "light" in the lightwave's futur.

For me, you need to rewrite the software , you wll have an "underground" period like Softimage ( remember TWISTER , Microsft, Avid,...) had in the past ( 2 or 3 years of underground developpement and difficulties to convince the customers).... they took the time, but now we can say that XSI is starting to be a standard like Maya.

I am sure you agree with me, it's a good idea to bring fast update but that's enough to keep Lw on the top ( old team did a bad work and " I am thinking what I say" .. that's why Lw is in this bad situation ), even 3dsmax had a bad time (with there developpers), Maya too ...

Lw is not enough competitive now, price, easy to use, rapidity, technology ....

I will stop using it until there is a major release , major I mean new engine, new interface, etc... something like "Lightwave resurection".

for exemple :

Explore+poweranimator = Maya
Softimage = XSI
3dstudio = 3DSmax

Lw never changed since Amiga ... ( ok for ik, radiosity, etc.. ), that was only upgrade on upgrade ... patch, patch ... you can do better with cheapper soft.

And now the competitive price doesn't help.

And I will nerver use something like Modo or Messiah... thoese people can't do a good job ! (may be I am wrong , I wish for them) cause they was involved in LW'developement but it would e so better fr them to stay and work together with You (Newtek) hand in hand.... but they choose to do it themself ...
If you take look to messiah .... humm ... cute .... and to mode .... make me smile ....

they did mistake and they still doing (interface , tools,etc... )

I had rethink my pipeline, I have an idea of what it will be . But I am wainting the sigraph to see better and use an intelligent investissement.

IMy english is very bad, but there is no anger in my words , just sadness. I was thinking that since a long time due to the lack of developpement. Maybe I am nostaligic of the old time (AMiga ).

that 's why I will post thins link (very interesting), please take the time to read it all (they spoke better than me, you wil certainly understand beter what I would like to say).

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=215330&page=1&pp=15

there is 5 pages to read...

My advice , freeze the developpement, correct the bugs and start working on new core.

I will come back here time to time to read about you.
thanks for all your time and efforts !

Cheers up !
Operation

Chuck
03-09-2005, 09:37 AM
I was hoping to see some "light" in the lightwave's futur.

For me, you need to rewrite the software ....
My advice , freeze the developpement, correct the bugs and start working on new core.

The notion that the current IP has to be completely abandoned and a new core written from the ground up simply has no basis in fact. We're aware that there are some people would like the LightWave Community to believe this, for their own purposes, and have thus been willing to foster and encourage the notion; and in other cases we've seen, it's clearly just a matter of folks speculating in a vacuum of knowledge, but from a point of view of concern. In either case, the conclusion, regardless of what source it arose from, is simply not correct.

The team that actually daily works with the code is perfectly confident that they can advance and reshape the core design in innovative ways that will push the application to state-of-the-art without having to throw everything out and start over. Yes, some elements will be completely replaced but the fact is there is a lot that is really very good in the IP and there's no reason to throw it out and start over. These are good, smart, experienced developers, now including two new heavy hitters:

Jay Roth Joins NewTek as VP of 3D Product Management (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/03-09-05a.html)

Mark Granger Joins LightWave Development Team (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/03-09-05b.html)

Frankly, I don't know of anything that the community is anxious for that the team would not be able to deliver. There are some wonderful things coming along in the 8.x series. We're looking forward to announcing these at the proper time. There's an incredible amount of light in LightWave's future. :)

JohnMarchant
03-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Chuck,

Got every faith in you and the fine team you have around you. The 2 new additions will only help to strengthen our Prefered Tool.

There are to many doom mongers out there and also some people who are just plain wrong in their facts. LightWave still provides the best bang for your buck out there, the plaudits and awards from people using The Tool in everyday production speaks for its self loud and clear, are we to take it that they are all wrong.

There are many things that need sorting out, over hauling or renewing and this will come in time. Every major package out there has the same problems as NT.

Personally i think since the release of LightWave 8 we are beginning to see the a renewed vigor at NT which i like alot.

Good Luck to you all.

Regards, John

PS No i dont work for NT :):)

doimus
03-09-2005, 02:51 PM
These are good, smart, experienced developers, now including two new heavy hitters:

Among Granger’s notable achievements is the
development of the Electric Image rendering engine, Camera, which is widely regarded one of the fastest and highest quality renderers on the market.

Shall we read a bit between the lines here? Nudge, nudge! :D

Exception
03-09-2005, 03:20 PM
so.. what's Electric Image left to fend with?
Poor folks... noone knows their application and now two people left!

Regarding the issue started by Operation, perhaps you seem to forget that Lightwave was written from the ground up again at version 6. You just try to go back to 5 and see if there isnt a real groundbreaking difference between 6 and 5.6... man, I have to work in 5.6 every now and then, and its like a visual basic first year programming assignment compared to 6...

colkai
03-10-2005, 08:02 AM
There are some wonderful things coming along in the 8.x series. We're looking forward to announcing these at the proper time. There's an incredible amount of light in LightWave's future.

Me? I'm getting my extra dark super-shades ready ;) :D

colkai
03-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Shall we read a bit between the lines here? Nudge, nudge! :D
Heck, just reading about some of the things they did has me excited about the possiblities. Renderers, voulmetric, "blowing LA up" (dynamics?)

Hoo boy! :D

caesar
03-10-2005, 12:49 PM
The notion that the current IP has to be completely abandoned and a new core written from the ground up simply has no basis in fact. We're aware that there are some people would like the LightWave Community to believe this, for their own purposes, and have thus been willing to foster and encourage the notion; and in other cases we've seen, it's clearly just a matter of folks speculating in a vacuum of knowledge, but from a point of view of concern. In either case, the conclusion, regardless of what source it arose from, is simply not correct.

The team that actually daily works with the code is perfectly confident that they can advance and reshape the core design in innovative ways that will push the application to state-of-the-art without having to throw everything out and start over. Yes, some elements will be completely replaced but the fact is there is a lot that is really very good in the IP and there's no reason to throw it out and start over. These are good, smart, experienced developers, now including two new heavy hitters:

Jay Roth Joins NewTek as VP of 3D Product Management (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/03-09-05a.html)

Mark Granger Joins LightWave Development Team (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/03-09-05b.html)

Frankly, I don't know of anything that the community is anxious for that the team would not be able to deliver. There are some wonderful things coming along in the 8.x series. We're looking forward to announcing these at the proper time. There's an incredible amount of light in LightWave's future. :)

I agree completely with Chuck...progress is showing up!

operation
03-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Hi Folks,

I was tired to do as many faults!! forgive me... I will take again lessons. It is a good thing to have these 2 people. I know what they think of generated work (undocumented, bad programming, etc...)

I programmed at the time of Atari before becoming graphic designer. I know what it is that the dirty programming!! And to have to recover a bad work. There doesn't need to be a programmer to note the gaps of the core-engine of Lightwave, one guesses it as graphic designer one uses other software.

It was necessary to find a chief for the development to direct the project in the good direction. The fact of having experience with Electric Image is a good thing.
But you do not wait to have features of EImage , because there is a NDA.
NT didn't buy EImage and its technology but the knowledge to only make.
I still repeat it, it is a very good starting point.

To write a new core is very long and fastidiuous, but I don't agree on the fact that Lightwave has a good base.
It's true, there are good tools to keep as Hypervoxel, maybe you can keep 10% maximum of recuparation but not more...

It is necessary old think like Luxo, a noyeu like Nexus and of the tools which turns around. What makes it possible to make evolve/move the engine and the tools indépendament.

It is better to set out again to zero, it is the best guaranteed to have a clean code and a tool of quality developed on technologies and the present needs.

Which are the future means of communication with the users concerning features? It would be necessary to list and to index the requests. the forum is too unmethodical. Like this all the users will know the requests of each one.
I don't await large thing in version 8.5 or 9.0.
I am waiting for the new "Lightwave Resurection" version.
While waiting for the gaining return I wish you good luck.
Because it will be necessary to keep the users and to gain others of them afterwards. It was a difficult work for XSI because it takes time, and other advances during this time.

Much among us will be happy to help you. Thought of re-examining the list of your beta testers?
With my 14 years of experiments in the CG industry and other softwares (Alias,Avid,...) I could make you a synthesis of what it is necessary to do and not to do.
Which are the possibilities to get in touch ? You can send me an email ( registred user) to have more details ( just to have an idea of who I am ... You have seen a pic of a big airplane with a radiosity problems ( A380 ;)

cheers

brade_andersen
03-11-2005, 09:24 AM
is anyone else experiencing a problem with epsexport plugin. basically it wont start so i cant export my uv mesh layouts to photoshop. very very annoying.

operation
03-14-2005, 04:42 AM
Hi , I bring this post up. In case you don't get it Chuck.
cheers

Chuck
03-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Operation,

Apologies, I'm on vacation currently, and will not be checking in often, so please, anyone with questions for me, be patient while I'm away a few days.

I've done as much as I can to try to help you understand that you are not correct that the current code has to be completely abandoned. I don't see any point to trying any further reasoning with you on this issue. I do hope that as time goes on and you see the progress in LightWave you'll be happy with the results and understand that the team has built on the best portions of the IP and restructured the whole and created new to make LightWave state-of-the-art for 3D.

Thanks!

Chuck

UnCommonGrafx
03-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Correcto-mundo, Chuck! Don't waste your breath...

Anyone that believes this will continue to do so. Unless they get to see "The Code", be that your internal roadmap or one that you've espoused publically.
And still, they may not believe.
Points on another post point to LWers being myopic. I am. :o Sometimes we don't know what else might be out there because we've learned to do it without all the bells and whistles of the other progs. Not only that, but some of us even buy those other programs to accomplish what we think we can't in LW. Then, because it is our beloved, we want those coveted toolsets in our beloved LW. Poof!, in steps the madness.

If you look at some (many) of the recent tools that have come out from third partys, they are way outside the realm of the basic app. Heck, they are on the verge of being (r)evolutionary for apps, in general; Maestro Controller, Vodka, the Madness of Tess' Nodes, AVT_Bump, etc. all come to mind. Maybe not so groundbreaking from a big company, but these things are from THE COMMUNITY.

The problem with LW at the moment is how much they wanted to share compared to how much and how quickly they can share EVERYTHING. In theory, some of these guys are tapping into the power now.

As it's all plugs, and dlls, the 'core' could be re-written by us. The Rope Editor comes to mind. Hell, why wasn't THAT the way it worked all along, from the homebase, one wonders deeply. Why wasn't THIS how all the extruding functions worked, transferring all this power to layout to animate? Because, I presume, he wrote a 'core' component himself. The power is there such that maybe even the designers didn't know.
Stepping back in time, some of the most complex plugs for other apps, hair, came from development under the OLD core, e.g., S&H.

There's a lot of un-exploited power. A lot of un-relinquished power, too. The meld has begun. I think the complaint boils down to a, "Hurry up, Please!" from those who are passionate like myself. Patience. Look at what the softimage people got once things settle out from all of their unpleasantness. We spoiled arses... hehe

-NG-
03-15-2005, 01:18 PM
(Nevermind this, double posted)

-NG-
03-15-2005, 01:19 PM
. Patience.

Like he said, give them some time. Things can't be created in one night. :)

Patience is a verteu. (or how the hell you write that)

caesar
03-16-2005, 05:00 AM
Like he said, give them some time. Things can't be created in one night. :)

Patience is a verteu. (or how the hell you write that)

...virtue :cool:

marinello2003
03-18-2005, 10:40 AM
I love lightwave, however LW Mac is very unstable and crashes more frequently than any other program I have ever run on my Mac. Not only that, but it has been the ONLY program to actually bring down my whole system and require a reboot. (Mac OSX does not have to be rebooted when Apps crash 99% of the time due to its protected memory and kernal). I also run LW on my old PC, and I am jealous of the PC version on how stable it is relative to the Mac version.

On the Mac, many of the plugins that you provide simply do not work and or crash the system. The Tiff plugin is a perfect example. It still does not work in LW 8.21. I have had to manually convert all my textures on my models to Amiga IFF format and completely abandon Tiff use becuause of this issue.

The other issue is lack of OSX development support. It is quite evident that NT is a Windows centric platform. From what I understand, NT has not ported the old code from OS9 to OSX. There are many speed enhancing features that OSX offers that NT does not take advantage of. Also, you announce a 64bit version of LW for Windows long before 64bit Win is available, however 64bit Tiger for Mac will be available April 15th! Many Mac users are frustrated as a result of this. Right now I am looking at alternatives such as Maya (even though I dred having to learn another complicated 3D app). I grant you some kudos for hiring the former founders of EAIS, since that was originally a Mac app first. I hope you really kick the Mac development into high gear or you are going to loose a lot of your Mac user base.

The other thing that really bugs me is the lack of integration and a well thought out tool pipe in terms of how plugins and other features are integrated. It seems to me like all NT does it just tack on additional features with very little forethought into how they work together. I think you guys really need to think about a complete rethink/redo of how all the tools are integrated. The big enhancement from 7.5 to 8.0 was you broke out the very long drop down list of plugs into some semblance of a more organized interface. This type of organizational enhancement needs to be taken to the next level. And the plugs themselves need to work together better cross-functionally (and not crash the system).

My advice to NT, is do not add another feature until you update all the code first and integrate the plugs you have into the system/ extend the SDK. I would be willing to purchase an 8.5 update with no additional features if I was assured that the current issues have been eliminated and the tool pipe and code had been updated and enhanced. Then and only then would I start to add additional features for a 9.0 release.

That is my two cents.

-Brent

3dworks
03-18-2005, 12:53 PM
I love lightwave, however LW Mac is very unstable and crashes more frequently than any other program I have ever run on my Mac. Not only that, but it has been the ONLY program to actually bring down my whole system and require a reboot. (Mac OSX does not have to be rebooted when Apps crash 99% of the time due to its protected memory and kernal). I also run LW on my old PC, and I am jealous of the PC version on how stable it is relative to the Mac version.

On the Mac, many of the plugins that you provide simply do not work and or crash the system. The Tiff plugin is a perfect example. It still does not work in LW 8.21. I have had to manually convert all my textures on my models to Amiga IFF format and completely abandon Tiff use becuause of this issue.

The other issue is lack of OSX development support. It is quite evident that NT is a Windows centric platform. From what I understand, NT has not ported the old code from OS9 to OSX. There are many speed enhancing features that OSX offers that NT does not take advantage of. Also, you announce a 64bit version of LW for Windows long before 64bit Win is available, however 64bit Tiger for Mac will be available April 15th! Many Mac users are frustrated as a result of this. Right now I am looking at alternatives such as Maya (even though I dred having to learn another complicated 3D app). I grant you some kudos for hiring the former founders of EAIS, since that was originally a Mac app first. I hope you really kick the Mac development into high gear or you are going to loose a lot of your Mac user base.

The other thing that really bugs me is the lack of integration and a well thought out tool pipe in terms of how plugins and other features are integrated. It seems to me like all NT does it just tack on additional features with very little forethought into how they work together. I think you guys really need to think about a complete rethink/redo of how all the tools are integrated. The big enhancement from 7.5 to 8.0 was you broke out the very long drop down list of plugs into some semblance of a more organized interface. This type of organizational enhancement needs to be taken to the next level. And the plugs themselves need to work together better cross-functionally (and not crash the system).

My advice to NT, is do not add another feature until you update all the code first and integrate the plugs you have into the system/ extend the SDK. I would be willing to purchase an 8.5 update with no additional features if I was assured that the current issues have been eliminated and the tool pipe and code had been updated and enhanced. Then and only then would I start to add additional features for a 9.0 release.

That is my two cents.

-Brent

brent, are you using fprime in your current LW configuration? my own experience on a mac is that LW 8 (and so its last update) are quite stable without using fprime, no real crashes - some 'unexpected' quits, not more of them than with other apps (maybe once or twice a day working hard with the program). BUT using fprime, specially on heavy scenes, turns this situation upside down and i frequently get kernel panic crashes with disk corruption.

sure, there are a lot of bugs to get fixed (like the annoying TIFF loading bug), but i can really not confirm your massive problems. but for what my experience can tell, probably stability depends very much on the software (did you use only 'trusted' and stable extra plugins in LW?) and hardware configuration you are using (btw. you don't mention what mac you are using?) and if run a 'clean and smooth' setup OSX, with all potential permission and hard disk corruption problems under control. also - in my experience - LW is very memory hungry on large renderings, so that 2G of RAM (on a powermac G5) for me was the minimum to get decent performance at resolutions starting at 4000 pixel wide.

i agree that a 64 bit version would be nice - but - if my memory did not get crazy - wasn't this announced a long time ago by newtek when they put a press release about using xcode for compiling future mac versions? the main advantage would be that more than 2G of RAM memory would be adressable - but please correct me if that is wrong.

cheers

markus

-NG-
03-19-2005, 02:53 AM
...virtue :cool:

i'll remember that ;) thx.

riki
03-19-2005, 03:37 AM
It still crashes quite a lot for me on my G5 even with relatively simple scenes with one object and a couple of lights.

wacom
03-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Ok, so I don't know jack about programing, but if a program is made of many modular parts, why would you have to rewrite everything? I mean, if your computer has a ***** video card or mother board does that really mean you always have to throw it all out?

Can't you just replace the bad parts? And who here that is saying LW needs a rewrite has seen all of the code?

Regardless of our assumptions LW will get better because it HAS to.

Let's also no forget that LW, at least right now, is really two seperate programs.