PDA

View Full Version : New Update for LightWave [8]

Kurtis
03-03-2005, 09:19 AM
New Maintenance Update for LightWave [8]

NewTek is pleased to announce the latest free maintenance update to LightWave [8]. Designated Version 8.2.1, the update addresses a number of issues that effect the operation of plug-ins. The affected plug-ins are sceneeditor.p, sestandardbanks.p, alias.p, psd.p, sgi.p, drla.p, sgi64.p, tiff.p, cineonfp.p, rla.p, epsexport.p, and bonetools.p.

To download the new LightWave [8] version 8.2.1 update, please visit:
http://www.lightwave3d.com/downloads/updates/lw821

NewTek is also running a limited time Add-A-Seat offer. Registered commercial owners of LightWave [8] may purchase additional full seats of LightWave [8] with electronic documentation for $495. This offer is available direct through NewTek and our authorized reseller channel. For more information visit: http://www.newtek.com/buynow.

Jure
03-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Exception
03-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Fastest update Ive ever seen coming out of Newtek!
Congratualtions guys, and thanks!

It doesnt fix any of the problems I have with 8.2, but I'm sure lots of people will be very happy!

brap
03-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi Kurtis,

I don't see any mention of the Alpha Channel / Shadow Density bug (bug #1 in the bug workshop). Is that fix included, or coming later/soon :)

-Jamie

Exper
03-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Another one... and fastly released... well done! :cool:

Kvaalen
03-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Yes... fast update! My main problems with the update haven't been fixed, but still.. great job on releasing a fast update with the main big 8.2 problems fixed. :)

The NT Europe site is telling me that my serial number is invalid, but it isn't and I've tried it a few times already. I'll try again soon, maybe it will work then.

blabberlicious
03-03-2005, 10:53 AM
The NT Europe site is telling me that my serial number is invalid, but it isn't and I've tried it a few times already. I'll try again soon, maybe it will work then.

I had the same problem - but my co-worker got his ok.

BTW why does it still say 8.2 in the info Bar and Appplication POP up?

Does that need an update too :-)

Wah ha hah hah ah!

At last working bone tools on a mac!

I'm LOVIN' it.

Well done guys & gals.

:D

trick
03-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Although I'm too busy to switch from 7.5. it is a good feeling that updates are coming more regularly :)

Bass
03-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Sweet! I look forward to seeing the VT[4] version

Bass

Tim Parsons
03-03-2005, 11:22 AM
I downloaded and installed this update and immediately checked the bone tools to see if they were working. All seems well. However I noticed that the build number in the About Lightwave did not change. Is this because these were plugins only that received the updating?

Thanks
Tim

Marvin Miller
03-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Blabberlicious, Tim Parsons:

Since this is a plugin update only, the toolbar and build number will not change.

JML
03-03-2005, 11:40 AM
can you render particle with screamernet now ?

phil lawson
03-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Invalid serial here as well using Newtek Europe. :)

bonojerry
03-03-2005, 11:49 AM
the eps export plug does not work on my mac osx w 10.38 running....went back to the 8-8.2 version and it's okay....

still can't get tiffs into lw at all

b

mav3rick
03-03-2005, 12:23 PM
jml u already can and i think since v 6.x

Nemoid
03-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Nt rocks!
an update that fixes some annoying probs of 8.2 in no time. :)

LAV
03-03-2005, 12:42 PM
Hello to everyone! I have visited the NT Europe site, but I have not found 8.2.1 version... Maybe I am sick! Are you sure 8.2.1 is online on NTEurope site?
nice days to everyone!

colkai
03-03-2005, 12:45 PM
It's not you - I click on the link and jsut get a blank popup window.
Maybe the server up-chucked because of traffic? Something similar happened with the 8.2 release.

Well, I can try later / tomorrow I guess....
Hmmm

Now it's doing the same to me - I know it's valid 'cause I'm sat here with the darned disc! :p

Ztreem
03-03-2005, 12:56 PM
I only get a pop-up window that says "Loading in progress...Please wait a moment" at Newtek-Europe. I've waited in hours and nothing happens.

I'll try again tomorrow.

BTW Great job Newtek! Keep em coming. :D

JML
03-03-2005, 01:19 PM
jml u already can and i think since v 6.x

thank you I know,

but since Lw 8.2 , the particle emiter would not work correctly in screamernet.
I and somebody else confirmed this bug in the threads about 8.2 bugs.

HowardBerry
03-03-2005, 01:34 PM
It's not you - I click on the link and jsut get a blank popup window.
Maybe the server up-chucked because of traffic? Something similar happened with the 8.2 release.

Well, I can try later / tomorrow I guess....
Hmmm

Same here. I can't get the update either. :confused:

-NG-
03-03-2005, 01:36 PM
WOW! :eek: That whas fast. Keep this up NT and you make us very happy. :)

harlan
03-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Nice job guys, keep 'em coming. :)

hunter
03-03-2005, 02:42 PM
the eps export plug does not work on my mac osx w 10.38 running....went back to the 8-8.2 version and it's okay....

still can't get tiffs into lw at all

b

Same here. winxp

Stewdent101
03-03-2005, 02:52 PM
I had the same problem if you followed the link from newtek`s email but if i went straight to newtek europe site and followed links from download and had no problem

Dodgy
03-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Same here. winxp

I'm not having any problems. What kind of tiff are you using? I'm running under 2000, but I'll try it under xp tomorrow at work.

theo
03-03-2005, 03:20 PM
My black box just ate an LW twinkie- "Yum, yum" he says.

I shall now accord a coolness trophy to the Newtek team. I can just see them now staggering about in disbelief that they have attained such a high level of greatness...... MMMUuuuuuuhhahahahahhahahha- :D :D

harlan
03-03-2005, 04:25 PM
My black box just ate an LW twinkie- "Yum, yum" he says.

I shall now accord a coolness trophy to the Newtek team. I can just see them now staggering about in disbelief that they have attained such a high level of greatness...... MMMUuuuuuuhhahahahahhahahha- :D :D

Man...I had to drop some acid just to understand what the hell you just said. ;)

theo
03-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Harlan harlan- you could have come up with a better excuse than that man.... :D

hrgiger
03-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Kooky. Another update. Great work Newtek.

Bytehawk
03-03-2005, 05:58 PM
hmm invalid serial
and seems i'm not the only one

btw if you see a please wait page loading message it's probably because you followed the link from the email NTeurope sent you.
try going back to the downloads section, then choose the 8.2.1 upgrade from the list and proceed. It seems like then it does go to the webform. I still get an invalid serial n° error though.... :(

riki
03-03-2005, 07:57 PM
That's really freaky, for some reason I knew yesterday that I'd be reading about maintenace update this morning on Flay. I woke up and then that's the first thing I saw.

GraphXs
03-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Squash those Bugs! Yay Yay!

Thanks alot Newtek.

Can't wait to see whats next from you!

:D

papou
03-03-2005, 09:13 PM
hey riki, think about Fprime this night!

Karmacop
03-03-2005, 09:15 PM
Maybe just maybe i missed something, but I think this is a new feature.

Firstly, load an object and turn on viper. Do a render. Now, move your lights around and they update in the viper window. Now, is this old, or is this really cool? :eek:

Elmar Moelzer
03-03-2005, 11:14 PM
Sorry to disappoint you, but this has always been there...
It is a cool feature nevertheless :-)
CU
Elmar

Hervé
03-03-2005, 11:38 PM
just bone stuf... I'll wait... 8.3 :D

badllarma
03-04-2005, 12:58 AM
hmm invalid serial
and seems i'm not the only one

btw if you see a please wait page loading message it's probably because you followed the link from the email NTeurope sent you.
try going back to the downloads section, then choose the 8.2.1 upgrade from the list and proceed. It seems like then it does go to the webform. I still get an invalid serial n° error though.... :(

DITO :mad:

Edit now working 9.05am 04/03
:)

mav3rick
03-04-2005, 01:51 AM
there's bug still present in particle emitter.
load object, add emiter (object surface) , set generate by FRAME, press birth rate T(texture) use some procedural , move slider to see particles appear.
ok now simple save scene and voila no more particles in scene. you can move frame slider as much u want left or right u will not see them unless you enter particle tab and press on texture layer than it will reinitialize.
Workround for this BUG manifesto is to save out particle simulation after u done it or to wait newtek, ino or dstorm (whoever have fingers in it ) to fix it.

Dodgy
03-04-2005, 03:06 AM
there's bug still present in particle emitter.
load object, add emiter (object surface) , set generate by FRAME, press birth rate T(texture) use some procedural , move slider to see particles appear.
ok now simple save scene and voila no more particles in scene. you can move frame slider as much u want left or right u will not see them unless you enter particle tab and press on texture layer than it will reinitialize.

This fix is just for the plugins mentioned above.

Karmacop
03-04-2005, 04:16 AM
Sorry to disappoint you, but this has always been there...
It is a cool feature nevertheless :-)
CU
Elmar

Wow, haven't heard from you for awhile Elmar :p

Far out. I just opened up 7.5 and sure enough it works! I did not know you could change lights with viper. Did anyone else know this!?

hrgiger
03-04-2005, 04:57 AM
I'm with you Karma. I was always under the impression that if anything other then the textures were changed, an F9 would have to be done before it would update.

Exper
03-04-2005, 05:08 AM
I'd like to postpone... but... hey guys... documentation really lacks! :(

Viper example:
"This will even show the appropriate shading, scene lighting
changes, as well as backdrop color changes."

Ok... it's there... but some more lines should clarify a lot providing, at the same time, better usage both to novice and skilled users.

Kurtis
03-04-2005, 05:09 AM
This update only addresses issues in the plug-ins listed.

This is not the final update for LightWave [8]. There are more to come, and they will address more issues and add more features.

We promised that there would be more updates more often, and this is part of that commitment.

hrgiger
03-04-2005, 05:13 AM
Not that it matters, I only use VIPER for previewing HV's, and once Fprime can display them, I can't imagine I'll use VIPER much at all.

Kurtis
03-04-2005, 05:18 AM
I'd like to postpone... but... hey guys... documentation really lacks!

We now have a member of the LightWave Team who's sole focus is LightWave documentation, Marvin Miller. You may have seen him posting in threads throughout the forums.

If there are specific portions of the documentation that you think need to be addressed, please feel free to post about them in the Feature Requests part of this forum and/or send email to [email protected]

Bytehawk
03-04-2005, 05:21 AM
OK,

got it now. Must have been updated or something....

mav3rick
03-04-2005, 05:37 AM
ok ok i got it put the weapon down:) i will remain silent :)

Exper
03-04-2005, 05:39 AM
We now have a member of the LightWave Team who's sole focus is LightWave documentation, Marvin Miller. You may have seen him posting in threads throughout the forums.

If there are specific portions of the documentation that you think need to be addressed, please feel free to post about them in the Feature Requests part of this forum and/or send email to [email protected] boy... I know... sorry about this vent... some fiery-hot blood flows in my veins! :eek:

theo
03-04-2005, 05:56 AM
This update only addresses issues in the plug-ins listed.

This is not the final update for LightWave [8]. There are more to come, and they will address more issues and add more features.

We promised that there would be more updates more often, and this is part of that commitment.

This is great Kurtis- I just hope the nitpickers don't drive you guys crazy.

"Oh my GOD!!!!!!- my bones menu is three pixels left of center when it opens and that gosh darn stinking rotten thing I can't pronounce simply WILL NOT turn this pile of polygon slop into a dancing Halle Barry- ITS NEWTEKS FAULT.......SOMEBODY KILL THE NEWTKE DEV TEAM!!!!!!! AND NOW!!!!!!!!!!!"

You know.. stuff like that...... :D

badllarma
03-04-2005, 06:58 AM
This is great Kurtis- I just hope the nitpickers don't drive you guys crazy.

"Oh my GOD!!!!!!- my bones menu is three pixels left of center when it opens and that gosh darn stinking rotten thing I can't pronounce simply WILL NOT turn this pile of polygon slop into a dancing Halle Barry- ITS NEWTEKS FAULT.......SOMEBODY KILL THE NEWTKE DEV TEAM!!!!!!! AND NOW!!!!!!!!!!!"

You know.. stuff like that...... :D

I wouldn't really call any one who points out these bugs nitpickers. At the latest LW user meeting we had in the UK one of the lads was demoing IK Boost (to the ones of us who have not really got into it) and all we got was "oh and that does not seem to work either" .

It was just plane broken in places, in my experience whenever I try to push anything in lightwave at present, you come across problems and I just think how the hell do people work with this day in day out full time. :rolleyes:

I really do hope that the changes in the back ground that have caused the latest problems are for the better in the long term but there are still lots of holes in the bucket that need sorting out to fix what we already have, before even trying to move things on in any way shape or form.

Signal to Noise
03-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Not that it matters, I only use VIPER for previewing HV's, and once Fprime can display them, I can't imagine I'll use VIPER much at all.

I agree with 'giger. Speaking of which...is there any news on Worley's collaboration with NewTek+SDK+FPrime? This was a discussion last year upon FPrime's release and pending the release of [8].

Perhaps the future scenario of Viper will be the total intergration of FPRime, hmm? "FViper" or "VPrime". :)

phil lawson
03-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Invalid serial here as well using Newtek Europe. :)

All sorted now...thanks Ben!

colkai
03-04-2005, 11:09 AM
All sorted now...thanks Ben!

Likewise - just downloaded :D

hunter
03-04-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm not having any problems. What kind of tiff are you using? I'm running under 2000, but I'll try it under xp tomorrow at work.
Hey Dodgy,
thanks for checkin'. That's my fault I quoted too much, I just meant the eps part I too can load tiffs. :o

Auger
03-04-2005, 12:47 PM
The scene editor update is cool. You can now multi-select and just check or uncheck one box and they all update. A lot better than having to go to the pop-up window and hit the box there. ;)

blabberlicious
03-04-2005, 01:44 PM
The scene editor update is cool. You can now multi-select and just check or uncheck one box and they all update. A lot better than having to go to the pop-up window and hit the box there. ;)

Err - what happened to the Numeric Input?

Could someone kindly explain how to enter numeric data into the scene editor, now that the pop up has been vanquished?

Cheers

Auger
03-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Err - what happened to the Numeric Input?

Could someone kindly explain how to enter numeric data into the scene editor, now that the pop up has been vanquished?

Cheers

Darn good question! I hadn't looked at those. Obviously, you can adjust all the numbers by sliding the LMB left and right and you can hold ctrl LMB and it'll adjust just the one your mouse is over. But, how can you make them all the same at one time? :confused:

Aquaman
03-04-2005, 02:12 PM
blabberlicious, Try right clicking on the small box and select Adjust properties panel...
It'll bring up the Adjust properties window.

blabberlicious
03-04-2005, 02:21 PM
blabberlicious, Try right clicking on the small box and select Adjust properties panel...

Ah, OK...

So could you tell me what the Undo Button Does, it's still there - taunting us

;-)

-NG-
03-04-2005, 02:33 PM
:( Seems like i can't download the update, it keeps hanging in the download screen at NT europe.

Probarly a browser issue, tried it using both firefox and explorer.

Auger
03-04-2005, 02:41 PM

Thanks Aquaman! :)

LAV
03-04-2005, 02:42 PM
OK! Today I received NT Europe mail addressing me to the link. All works perfectly. I am downloading (now!) the upgrade. Very fast (3.3 Mb) and really clean. Thanks to NT for their work.

LW is the zen way to be online!