PDA

View Full Version : Loading very large image maps

james_dmi
03-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Is there a plug-in or feature in lightwave that will allow me to load in a very high res image map? What I need is for lightwave to use a low res proxy image until render time. It should then use the high res image using virtual memory / image segmenting to get the image in one part at a time to overcome memory limitations.

This is similar to how Photoshop allows you to edit very big images and somehow even seems to be able to get over the 32bit memory address space limitation of 4GB

I am sure I read somewhere in the forums that someone had a method / plug-in that could do this but I cannot find it.

Lightwolf
03-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Hi James,
try infinimap (www.infinimap.com) :)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Cheers,
Mike

james_dmi
03-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi Lightwolf,

Thanks for the reply I think this is what I remember seeing before. I am going to download the demo (le version) tomorrow and give it a try. On the website it refers to an image format with a ECW extension. Is there a utility I need to be able to save my large tiff file in this format?

Cheers

James.

Lightwolf
03-03-2005, 10:33 AM
Hi james,

actually, the LE version is fully functional, and no demo :)

You will need the ECW compressor from ERMapper http://www.ermapper.com/downloads/download_view.aspx?PRODUCT_VERSION_ID=264 or the Photoshop plugin: http://www.ermapper.com/downloads/download_view.aspx?PRODUCT_VERSION_ID=145 .
Mind you, both are limited to a source image size of 500MB (in raw RGB).

You'll also find those links in the support section at www.infinimap.com

Cheers,
Mike

james_dmi
03-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks Lightwolf,

I will grab those utilities as well. I take it you need to buy the full ECW package to save images bigger then 500MB? I want to use this with the blue marble image maps to do a high res animation of the earth. I suppose I may be alb to find that someone has already converted these images into the ECW format.

All the best
James

Lightwolf
03-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks Lightwolf,

I will grab those utilities as well. I take it you need to buy the full ECW package to save images bigger then 500MB? I want to use this with the blue marble image maps to do a high res animation of the earth. I suppose I may be alb to find that someone has already converted these images into the ECW format.

Probably ;) , I'm not sure about the legal situation of distributing it though...

Mind you, infiniMap LE only supports planar mapping (I'm working on a new version, but the SDK is hard to work around...), and works as a shader only. I heard from one of our users though that some morph targets from a plane to a sphere work quite well...

Cheers,
Mike

james_dmi
03-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Iíve just looked at the pricing on the ermapper site talk about telephone numbers! I guess if you are mapping out your oil fields you could afford these but otherwise its just crazy. I guess my best bet is to get my 64 bit workstation up and running and hope that NewTek get lightwave 64bit out soon.

Unless you can mod your plug-in to work with tiff images? I have some funds in the budget to buy plug-ins. I guess that would be someway off and probably not in time for this project

Thanks for your help

James.