PDA

View Full Version : FPrime crash bug and destroying objects

Mipmap
03-02-2005, 10:50 PM
I just encountered a bug that not only makes my computer reboot, but this time it killed a few objects in my scene.

All I did was minimize the FPrime preview window, and then a few seconds later I moved my mouse down and closed it. The second I clicked the X my computer went to a BSOD. When I got back into Windows and loaded the scene again, I found one of my character files and one of the main scene objects were useless, giving me an error about it having no visible layers. I've had FPrime do this a few times before.

A BSOD is annoying but can be dealt with, but when I'm working on surfacing an object and just closing the window while its minimized causing that and also nuking my .lwo files is kind of frustrating. Especially when I'd spent the last few hours surfacing it from nothing.

What the hell is it with Lightwave anyway? I rarely have to use 3D Max for a few minor things, and any time 3DMax crashes it manages to save a perfect copy of the scene right from when it crashed. This is the third time I've had Lightwave crash in one way or another where not only are changes to my scene\objects lost, but the actual files are corrupted as well.

Hervé
03-02-2005, 11:08 PM
what is a BSOD....? :confused:

harlan
03-02-2005, 11:28 PM
what is a BSOD....? :confused:

Blue Screen of Death

It's the term given to the crash in windows where you're dumped out of windows and into that horrendous blue screen.

Hervé
03-03-2005, 12:25 AM
well well, could it be related to your hardware config... I have to say I am owner of a BOXX dual, and have never see that BSOD.... gulp, that must be terrible...

Thanks Harlan for clarify... :o

mav3rick
03-03-2005, 02:52 AM
i hade BSOD recently when i was using FPRIME also and exactly same things i did like you.
btw what i also found is if you work in layout and swap objects btw modeler and layout while having surface panel open on both and fprime open in layout too it crash actually freez when trying refresh object from modeler.
This kind of stuff never happened b4. So to avoid **** happens try to keep surface panel closed or to close FPRIME preview while switching btw modeler and layout.
I feel after 8.2 everythin is splitting appart.

after BSOD luckly i didnt have corupted files ...... never happened on lw 8.0 ?
maybe it is up to worley now to give us update?

my system spec
amd athlon 64 3500+
1gb ram
280 gb hd
gf fx 6800gt 256mb
system is 2 months old so no weird stuff installed

hmmmm.........

Signal to Noise
03-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Wow! I haven't experienced a BSOD since the early pre-service pack Windows 2000 days.

What o/s are you using?

I constantly use FPrime since it's release and have had zero problems.

mav3rick
03-03-2005, 08:48 AM
me 2 until 8.2 and new system? or ? winxp sp1 here with latest nvidia drivers