PDA

View Full Version : Batch Capture Solution?

Lebowski
03-02-2005, 01:33 PM
Has there been a resolution found for batch capturing? I've never been able to batch and I thought it would be corrected within the last patch that came out. Does anyone have a work around? Any ideas? Is Newtek working on this at all? I'm going to test batch capture after removing the BOB from the equasion and see if that works. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

tmon
03-02-2005, 02:51 PM
That's what we had to do on one of our systems. Go direct from one of the COM Ports to a rosetta stone to our BVW-75 source/target deck. I can only think it's a problem with the BOB. On our other workstation, the BOB and RS-422 seems to be working fine.

Keep squeaking the wheel. If we don't squeak on this issue, it won't get addressed. We'll get things like TriCaster instead.

;)

Lebowski
03-02-2005, 04:16 PM
I have found that, on my system, connected through BOB1 on com 1, I get NO control of my DSR-1800. If I change that to RS-422 on com 1, it will control the same deck connected through BOB 1. However, if the tape releases after having not been in use for a short time, the control releases as well and will not come back. To resolve this, I go back and set the control back to BOB 1 (no connection) then back to RS-422 on com 1 and it takes hold once again.
THIS IS TOO MUCH OF A WORK AROUND!
Up next, testing control on a Beta PVW-2650.......to be continued...

tmon
03-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Welcome to the club!

Somewhere in these threads exists some problem solving steps.....

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/search.php?searchid=74832

bradl
03-05-2005, 02:52 PM
This may not be what you want to hear or be particularly helpful but...

We use Batch Capture constantly. We BC every clip for every project and I am talking thousands of clips now. We use BetaSP, Digibeta and D-9 machines, no BOB and use an Addenda RS-2/8 (http://www.addenda.com/rs28.htm).

Lebowski
03-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Lucky you...Since then I have been able to Batch, BUT the work around system is the only way to achieve this. I have to switch back and forth from the BOB to the COM1 and turn my other BOB-connected decks off(only have the one I'm currently using on). It captures well, BUT when the tape releases I have to go through the same BOB-Switch system again.

jport
03-18-2005, 02:27 AM
unfortunately i to don't have a BOB so i don't know how to test that.

but if your only problem is in losing connection because your tape unthreads then the simplest way is to increase the... this is off the top of my head the name might be wrong... still command on the deck.

i'm not sure about a dsr deck but on a pvw deck go to the extended menu button which is underneath the flip-up panel, don't push the menu button on front of the flip-up panel that just pulls up a common menu.

Scroll down using your shuttle knob, i'm pretty sure you can extend that from between 8 min to 30 min.

bradl
03-18-2005, 02:27 AM
What a pain!

One other side note is if we 'patch' the 422 while any machine control window is open... bam crash (most of the time) been that way since VT2. No other program does this. Seems like they could trap the signal (or loss of) before it crashes the system!

tmon
03-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Hmmm....it's a shame that I have to keep revisiting these BC threads, but I'm starting to think that BC without the BOB may be more reliable than with it.

We couldn't get BC to work with one of our two BOB's. On that system, where we use a Rosetta Stone straight from a serial port to a BVW-75 serial patchbay, BC is much more reliable than on the system where we are trying to use BC with the BOB.

I wonder if NewTek has any quantifiable data on this? I.e. BC with BOB vs. without?

It's great to spend tons of time building a great BC list manually, only to have BC stop working, even after repeatedly rebooting and re-running Auto Config.

The maddening thing is that it is near impossible to troubleshoot/determine where the problem is occurring. At least, it's been difficult on my end to do so...

NewTek should at the very least update the Troubleshooting FAQ to include a standard methodology for resolving BC issues. It's very irritating at the least, and at the worst, embarassing and costly (i.e. losing future jobs because it's taking too long to get the job done).

This is one of those things where I'd prefer to see it fixed rather than adding any more new features to the software. I know this is possible, because on every other professional NLE that I've ever worked on, BC works reliably. I'm sure NewTek could make it so IF they focussed on it.