PDA

View Full Version : Any 10-port router recommendations?

Johnny
03-02-2005, 08:23 AM
I need a router to handle both the dsl modem and an array of Macs for screamernetting, and I think I'm going to need a 10-port unit..I have immediate plans for 6 Macs plus the modem, with the ability to expand a little.

Can anyone recommend a good unit with 10 ports? I see lots of 5-port units ranging under $100 US..then, there's a leap to $700, $1000, $1200.

Is there a 10-port unit for regular people?

thanks!

J

Beamtracer
03-08-2005, 09:51 PM
I believe Airport Express will handle ten clients simultaneously, and Airport Extreme will handle many more.

I haven't had much experience with non-wireless ten port routers, although I've got a 4 port Asante router which works really well.

You can also stack routers together to get more ports.

Beamtracer
03-10-2005, 03:38 AM
Just to add to my last comment, if you wanted to string two modems together I believe you would require a special port on the modem, not just the usual ethernet port.

Also, if you search around discount computer shops you should be able to find a 16-port router for less than $US200.

mgrusin
03-10-2005, 01:00 PM
There are lots of inexpensive -switches- in 4/8/16+ port configurations. It may be less expensive to get one of those, and place a single-port -router- between the switch and the rest of the world.

-MG.

Wade
03-10-2005, 03:06 PM
I got a great one form dell 24 port - gigbit. maybe 240.00 bucks I think.

I may not know what I am talking about but maybe I do not sure.

PowerConnectTM 2224
PowerConnect 2224 Unmanaged Switch, 24 Port Fast Ethernet

1Yr Parts Delivery (Next Business Day)

Featured at
$99
$79
[After $20 Instant Savings.]
Limited time offer.

Amadeus0
03-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Buy a router that only has 1 LAN port on it.

Then buy a switch with 8/16 ports.

Run ethernet from router to switch.

Hook computers into switch.

Finished.

I recommend the SMC 8516T Switch. Supprts Jumbo frames among other things:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=103436&threshold=1&commentsort=0&tid=126&tid=95&mode=thread&cid=8813520
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=6&scid=&pid=1156

AmadeusZ.-

Johnny
03-11-2005, 06:31 AM
Buy a router that only has 1 LAN port on it.
Then buy a switch with 8/16 ports.
Run ethernet from router to switch.
Hook computers into switch.
Finished.
I recommend the SMC 8516T Switch.

OK...My main reason for looking at routers is that my current DSL modem requires a router for me to both be online AND conduct ethernet business, namely, screamernetting..

I don't understand the reason for this; my earthlink dsl played fine with the switch, but the sbc dsl modem, I believe, wants to assign numbers...I think this is the diff.

In addition, I'd like to enable my gf to be online at the same time as me on her Powerbook..will your plan (above) fulfill all these needs?

thanks!

J

lesford
03-11-2005, 10:01 AM
You will get better results with a switcher than a router. Routers divide the bandwidth, but switchers assign it as it is needed. Think more efficient - faster renders.

mgrusin
03-11-2005, 10:58 AM
A router is great for connecting to the outside world, especially if it has a firewall built into it. But again, you don't need a router with a port for every one of your machines. Even a router with lots of ports just has an internal hub or switch to provide all those ports, but you're paying big $ for the one-box convenience.

Just connect a multi-port switch to any router you want, and you'll be set:

internet-----router------switch<=====all your machines.

(A swich and a hub look the same, but a switch provides much better throughput).

-MG.

Amadeus0
03-11-2005, 03:33 PM
OK...My main reason for looking at routers is that my current DSL modem requires a router for me to both be online AND conduct ethernet business, namely, screamernetting..

J

I had ADSL from bellsouth.net, and I got what they called a 'router' (which it was..a DSL Router.) My setup was this:

ADSL Modem/Router (it was called both)===>Linksys BEFSR11 (a router that allowed my several computers to go online)===>8 port 10/100 Switch. From switch to each computer via Ethernet.

Worked flawlessly. The machines that I wanted to go online were comfigured for such. My screamernet computers, which I didn't want to go online, weren't configured for internet, but could be seen by the other computers on the subnet.

AmadeusZ.-

Lynx3d
03-11-2005, 05:22 PM
I've got a standard router with integrated 5port switch (connected to DSL modem), 2 PCs are connected directly and my PCs through another 8port switch...

Easiest and cheapest way i'd say too...if that isn't enough just get another switch etc...the joy of star-topology networks :D

riki
03-12-2005, 06:53 PM
I finally enterred the world of ADSL, well almost, I bought the modem yesterday should be connected early next week. Then I can finally cleanout download section of my bookmarks :)

Johnny
03-14-2005, 11:15 AM
A router is great for connecting to the outside world, especially if it has a firewall built into it. But again, you don't need a router with a port for every one of your machines. Even a router with lots of ports just has an internal hub or switch to provide all those ports, but you're paying big $ for the one-box convenience.

Just connect a multi-port switch to any router you want, and you'll be set:

internet-----router------switch<=====all your machines.

(A swich and a hub look the same, but a switch provides much better throughput).

-MG.

OK..you think that'll work with my grumpy SBC dsl modem? And will let my girlfriend and myself to be online at the same time, while facilitating screamernetting?

I hope I can select the right boxes...heh..

J