PDA

View Full Version : combining objects/layers into a single object

ekko313
03-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Is there any way in layout to take all te objects in the current scene and compile them to one object or .lwo file?

JamesCurtis
03-02-2005, 08:40 AM
As far as I know there is no way to combine seperate objects into one in layout. If you need to do this you can switch to Modeler and combine them by copying each object and pasting them to a new object layer and save it

You can have several objects in Layout act as one by parenting all the ones you want together.

ekko313
03-02-2005, 10:05 AM
long story short I have an object (a vaccuum) that is built up of many different pieces (over 100). The scene file has all the objects placed together to form the whole. But I want to assemble all of those peices together in one object with out having to go into modeler, open each one and size/position/add it to a new model.

Dodgy
03-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Have a look on www.flay.com, there's plugin which will do exactly that...

etobiason
03-05-2005, 02:44 PM
I have the same problem, and couldn't find the plug-in on Flay. Not to say that it isn't there, I hope it is, but does anybody have any more information?

Dodgy
03-05-2005, 04:51 PM
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/modeler.htm#LoadObjectsFromScene

I just did a search on flay under 'load' for modeler plugins and lo, it was top of the list...

etobiason
03-05-2005, 05:07 PM
I did a search under "combine" and couldn't find it. That plug in you showed me doesn't say anything about combining several modeler files into one file... does it do that? It also mentions specifically a "scene" file. I don't have a scene file, just loads of modeler files that interconnect.

Lewis
03-05-2005, 05:15 PM
I did a search under "combine" and couldn't find it. That plug in you showed me doesn't say anything about combining several modeler files into one file... does it do that? It also mentions specifically a "scene" file. I don't have a scene file, just loads of modeler files that interconnect.

Hmm for me by look at plugin name "LoadObjectsFromScene" it would be modeler plugin which can load *.lws file and there you will have all setuped layers/objects in modeler at once - right :). I didn't try (i don't need it) but by name that's what i got. Aslo howcome you don't have scene (*.lws) if you say that you have many objects (100) setuped in layout ? If I setuped them manualy (move/rotate/scale..) i'd be sure to save that as *.lws file after that - don't you ?

Dodgy
03-05-2005, 05:39 PM

Wellll what you can do in that case is (in layout) open Load Object, and multiselect the objects you want to load. Once they've loaded, save that scene, and use the Load from scene to amalgamate them into one object...

etobiason
03-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi, Lewis, how are things? Wanna move to the U.S. and work?

I didn't create the files, I'd have left them as layered .lwo files if I had. I am working on a project for Disney, and received some of their characters as .lwo files. The characters were animated in Maya at some point, which is why the characters are split into many different files instead of one layered file (or anyway, that's the explanation I got). I have no scene files. This is why I'm looking for a plug-in that can combine a group of object files with no scene file, if such a thing exists.

I don't want to manually copy and paste them.... if there is no such plug-in as the one I am looking for, I will try to get some random scene file.

etobiason
03-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Good idea Dodgy! I need some extra brainpower... I haven't had a full nights sleep in 13 days... (including a night with no sleep at all)...

Thanks!

-e

Lewis
03-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Hi, Lewis, how are things? Wanna move to the U.S. and work?

I didn't create the files, I'd have left them as layered .lwo files if I had. I am working on a project for Disney, and received some of their characters as .lwo files. The characters were animated in Maya at some point, which is why the characters are split into many different files instead of one layered file (or anyway, that's the explanation I got). I have no scene files. This is why I'm looking for a plug-in that can combine a group of object files with no scene file, if such a thing exists.

I don't want to manually copy and paste them.... if there is no such plug-in as the one I am looking for, I will try to get some random scene file.

Heheh then that's different story :). I wa sunder impression that you have them in layout and normaly whateve ri hav ein layout i save *.lws 99% of time ;). But as dodgy already mentioned there is solution for that also :).

BTW Things are very cool here, working/modeling non-stop (54th car project behind me so far) what about moving to USA and working - can you elaborate more :). Thx

etobiason
03-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Just idle talk for now, but we are building up a studio and need talented people no matter where we can get them. But for now, just idle, looking for who is willing to relocate so we know who we can consider. I sent you an email.

Celshader
03-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Is there any way in layout to take all te objects in the current scene and compile them to one object or .lwo file?

I posted this on CGTalk (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=215429) a few nights ago:

A friend faced this challenge a few months ago...only it was thousands of objects placed in Layout that he wanted to condense into a single model. What you need to do is download a file called LOE_STO_Pack_R1.zip from this section of FI's website (http://f23.aaa.livedoor.jp/%7Efisjunk/plugin/plugin.php?platform=1&code=1&type=Modeler&version=1#f).

The following text is what I emailed to my friend about this LScript:

One plug-in, a Layout plug-in, is "Save Transformed Objects." Select the
objects you want to freeze out in their transformed positions, then run
this plug-in. It will ask you where to output the transformed objects.
Type in a prefix and let 'er rip. It will create a numbered sequence of
objects.

Then, use the Modeler plug-in: "Load Objects into Empties [Empty
Layers]" Tell it where the object sequence starts, and it will load each
numbered object into a new empty layer. After that, you can run
LightWave [8]'s built-in "Object Collapser" in
View->Layers->More->Object Collapser to collapse all of the layers into
a single layer.

As an experiment, I tried running "Object Collapser" on a directory, but
it's not as quick as collapsing layers that are already loaded. I
strongly recommend testing this on your end, though -- your experiences
with "Object Collapser" might prove different from mine.

I've also used DStorm's "Load Objects From Scene." It's great, but it seems limited to loading in 30 objects at a time. To transform a scene with a few hundred objects in it into a single model, I had to create several sub-scenes that only had 30 objects apiece. Since your scene has about 100 objects in it, consider FI's plug-in.

etobiason
03-05-2005, 07:35 PM
D'oh! LW 8's Object Collapse let's you choose a directory or all currently loaded objects. That's exactly what I need, already built in.

-e

jeric_synergy
08-02-2015, 07:09 PM
xxx