PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Announces New Competitive Upgrade Offer

Chuck
03-01-2005, 10:00 AM
NewTek Announces New Competitive Upgrade Offer
3D Artists Get Opportunity to Try Award-Winning LightWave 3D with Special $495 Pricing on Full Commercial Licenses

NewTek is pleased to announce a limited time, best-ever competitive upgrade offer for LightWave 3D. Users of a select set of 3D graphics and design applications will be able to purchase a competitive upgrade to LightWave 3D for $495US. Current users of LightWave 3D will be able to add an additional seat at this price as well, allowing them to affordably run the software on multiple computers. The promotions are available today through NewTek authorized resellers, or directly from NewTek through April 30, 2005.

For the complete text of the press release, link to:

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/03-01-05a.html

Earl
03-01-2005, 10:25 AM
That's awesome Chuck!

UnCommonGrafx
03-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Go, Chuck and crew!

My Lappy wanted this, bad... Darnned you guys for such enticements.

I'll say it for the others, " 'Bout time."

:p

Dodgy
03-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Nice to see us registered users get the same price for another seat too :) That's well cool :)

hrgiger
03-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Hmmm, I should buy some now and sell them back when the price goes back up....

I wonder if this is in response to XSI's package for $495.

cresshead
03-01-2005, 12:06 PM
what about the dongle??....it's listed as an electronic upgrade...have we ditched the usb dongle now?

looks mighty tempting for use lw owners too!

Chuck
03-01-2005, 12:44 PM
The Competitive Upgrade press release cites the pricing for the Electronic Full copy - that means the electronic version of the Reference Manual serves as the documentation, rather than a printed version. It is a full copy with a dongle. Same for the Add-a-seat Special Offer for LightWave [8] registered owners. In both cases, if you want the printed docs, you can purchase the Standard Full for $595.

cresshead
03-01-2005, 12:47 PM
okay that clears up the dongle question..so it's the same as when we got our upgrades to version 8 with 3 cdrom discs and a usb dongle with online help etc

i'll pass this on to my students some of which are "suffering" with xsi currently!
...and i mean suffering! :eek:

bobakabob
03-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Fantastic offer, Chuck! An extra Lightwave license will come in very handy :) What's the price in UK s?

ChrisS
03-01-2005, 02:07 PM
suhWEET! :D

harlan
03-01-2005, 03:01 PM
cool beans

Wade
03-01-2005, 03:03 PM
So does one now upgrade his second seat or buy a new seat altogeter.... Huuummmmmmmmm what to do what indeed. :D

-NG-
03-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Sweet a commercial license. I think i'll be ditching my student license. :)

Chuck
03-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Sweet a commercial license. I think i'll be ditching my student license. :)

Actually, you do know that you can upgrade your student LightWave license to commercial just by buying an upgrade at the commercial price, don't you? Same $495US, no hassle with what to do with the "old" license. Check pricing if you are overseas, but the same offer should hold anywhere in the world - whatever the cost of a commercial upgrade is, that's the cost of converting any version of individual (student or teacher individual copy) ed license to a LightWave [8] commercial license.

Gui Lo
03-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Why the extra manuels and cds for the additional seat?

All I need is another dongle.

It is a great price and I am tempted but I wish there was another even cheaper option of dongle only.

This is inspired by finance and lack of office space.

Gui Lo

hrgiger
03-01-2005, 05:17 PM
I think, and this holds true across the board, 'additional seat' implies more then just the cost of the hardware/software.

doimus
03-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Just one question to get things straight: this additional seat is valid for [8] users only, not 7.5? right?

That's because I upgraded to LW8 this morning (!!) and would surely feel like JACKASS if I could get additional license for the price of upgrade! :rolleyes:

lesterfoster
03-01-2005, 06:21 PM
What about toaster owners with lightwave.??

lesterfoster
03-01-2005, 06:34 PM
I would rather put a dongle in my pocket and use lightwave where I need to. Rather than having to drag my toaster around, just to use lightwave

meshmaster
03-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Didn't realize that this thread was over here too... I posted over on the cgtalk thread... but I guess I'll put the question here too... does this include for the folks that are using the older versions of the competing software? Truespace 3 is FREE on cnet.com. I'd assume that this deal includes that... which means that there's some folks out there that'll be getting lightwave 8 for half the price that I paid for Lightwave 7... without ever having to own any other 3d software ever before.

-NG-
03-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Actually, you do know that you can upgrade your student LightWave license to commercial just by buying an upgrade at the commercial price, don't you? Same $495US, no hassle with what to do with the "old" license. Check pricing if you are overseas, but the same offer should hold anywhere in the world - whatever the cost of a commercial upgrade is, that's the cost of converting any version of individual (student or teacher individual copy) ed license to a LightWave [8] commercial license.

I thought that if you updated your edu to commercial you had to pay the full price(1400 or what the price is). 495$ sounds sweet. :D

Kurtis
03-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Why the extra manuels and cds for the additional seat?

All I need is another dongle.

It is a great price and I am tempted but I wish there was another even cheaper option of dongle only.

This is inspired by finance and lack of office space.

Gui Lo

Essentially, the dongle is the license, since it is what allows the software to work. I'm afraid $1000 off the normal purchase price of a full commercial license of LightWave [8] is the best we can do. :D

Just one question to get things straight: this additional seat is valid for [8] users only, not 7.5? right?

That's because I upgraded to LW8 this morning (!!) and would surely feel like JACKASS if I could get additional license for the price of upgrade! :rolleyes:

The Add-A-Seat offer is only valid for owners of a full commerical license of LightWave [8], including those that have upgraded from a previous version. If you want to take advantage of this offer, and you own an educational license or a previous version of LightWave, you would need to upgrade to a full commercial license of [8] first.

What about toaster owners with lightwave.??

Yes, the Add-A-Seat offer is open to owners of a full commercial license of VT[4] packaged with LightWave [8] as well. Please see my response to the question above regarding previous versions or educational licenses.

Didn't realize that this thread was over here too... I posted over on the cgtalk thread... but I guess I'll put the question here too... does this include for the folks that are using the older versions of the competing software? Truespace 3 is FREE on cnet.com. I'd assume that this deal includes that... which means that there's some folks out there that'll be getting lightwave 8 for half the price that I paid for Lightwave 7... without ever having to own any other 3d software ever before.

The Competitive Upgrade offer is only available to owners of a paid commercial license of the listed software products. To qualify for this offer, you will be required to provide a serial number for the competing product as well as fax in a copy of the front inside page of the manual. If you order online, you will be contacted by Customer Service for this information.

I thought that if you updated your edu to commercial you had to pay the full price(1400 or what the price is). 495$ sounds sweet. :D

Nope. We don't do that. $495 if no upgrade is currently available, or $495 with the upgrade if one is available. :cool:

Exper
03-03-2005, 02:52 AM
Great move... but the lack of a downloadable demo version will restrain a bunch of potential competitor's users.

Exception
03-03-2005, 09:08 AM
What do european buyers do?
The offer is not listen on the newtek-europe site and I can distinctly remember the trouble I got in for ordering at Newtek US when I was a euopean customer : )

cresshead
03-03-2005, 09:32 AM
re the demo version of lightwave...with the recent events on spinquad i'd guess that there will be a new demo version out in april/may with a load of 400 points or less models on the install to show off what you CAN do with the demo version and still save out models etc...

BeeVee
03-04-2005, 07:02 AM
Unfortunately, owing to network problems today, we haven't been able yet to post the Competitive Upgrade up on our site, but rest assured that European users are party to it too. The price is going to be 495/339 for a full licence with printed docs (425/295 with just electronic documentation). Both prices are excluding VAT.

B

jevinstudios
03-04-2005, 08:22 AM
About 10 years ago, when I purchased my first license of LW and got my studio started, it was through a competitive upgrade offer. I was cash poor, but dreamed of becoming a LW animator (I've always loved the look, feel and product LW generated, even over other packages that were available at the time, like 3D Studio Max, Softimage, etc.).

I bought Inspire to get my feet wet, then NT came out with a competitive upgrade offer that I could use to transform my poor little Inspire into the beautiful butterfly that was LightWave.

It's encouraging to see that NT is still keeping the same mentality over all these years: a dedication to making their extraordinary software affordable to both the big shotz and the little shotz alike.

NewTek -- I love you guyz! You still have my loyalty after a decade, and will continue to have it for the next decade to come.....