PDA

View Full Version : bending

stylgc
02-28-2005, 02:42 PM
just wondering if someone can help.

trying to bend an object similar to that of a piece of spagetti-
I cannot find a way (using the bend tool) to place sharp bends/loops in this kind of object-I can only create gradual bends-
*I need to retain the cylindical form
*I need to place shraper bends in a spagetti-like object :confused:

thanks

Silkrooster
02-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Try creating a spline in the background, which would be a single line in the shape you want it.
In the foreground create a disc and face the normal away from the spline. Now just use the rail extrude tool.
Instant spaghetti.
Silk

stylgc
02-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the reply!
Is there a way to put a taper on the object after I rail bevel? -so I can transform the spagetti to hair- so the round base I start out with ends up as a point-
Thanks

Wade
02-28-2005, 04:11 PM
You may want to play with Magic bevel some. :)

Wade
02-28-2005, 04:25 PM
crap I just realized I can use this for making side walks for my Arichitecural work - nice very nice. I really have to used it much but what a time saver for so many things.

Silkrooster
02-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Actually with the rail extrude you can add an additional rail to adjust the thickness.
The magic bevel is a very neat tool, but lacks control, or should I say I haven't found a way yet to control it better.
Silk

stylgc
02-28-2005, 05:21 PM
hey,
need some help-
tying to rail extrude a bezier drawing path, and the extrusion only goes down so far then stops- no lines/points overlapping-
I'm using lw7- is bevel magic available to download?
Thanks

Silkrooster
02-28-2005, 05:30 PM
I replied in the other post you started. As for magic bevel, it comes with 7.5 which you should be able to upgrade to for free, I think. Do a search on flay.com for magic bevel, I think dstorm is the author of the plugin. Just goto his site and down load it.
Did you check what is in your plugin directory, it may be there, I don't know when magic bevel was included with Lightwave.
Silk

stylgc
02-28-2005, 05:48 PM
thanks for the suggestion to get my rail extrusion to go(shift-Z)worked.
thanks again.

Wade
02-28-2005, 11:29 PM
magic bevel does have some controls hit N and bring up panel and you have a number of options - What I find most helpful is you can turn the taper off and go back and move the joints around... If you want to create a meandering walk through a site plan - this will come in very handy indeed. :cool:

Seems the opengl on this is great in that you can fill the up your work space with stuff and can still grab and move the nodes in real time.

I think this could be expanded as a tool not sure just yet how but it seems it has a lot of promise and uses if one gets creative and is not that what most of use are about.

Silkrooster
02-28-2005, 11:47 PM
You know,
I am not even sure if I ever checked the numeric panel when using the magic bevel. Hmmm, now I am going to have to try it and see.
Silk

evenflcw
03-01-2005, 05:39 AM
Just get C_Bend already! :)

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1341