PDA

View Full Version : Maestro demo now available for download!

NanoGator
02-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Hey All,

Due to popular demand, a demo version of Maestro is now available for download. To get it, go here:

http://www.stillwaterpictures.com/maestro

At the very bottom, there's a field where you put in your email address. When you enter your email address, a 14-day unlock code is sent to you. Please note that the 14 days start when you request the code. Included in the email is a link to the download file.

Enjoy!

Brian

cresshead
03-01-2005, 03:16 PM
thanks!

i have downloaded it and will install and take a peek tomorrow, will give you some feedback on how i find it too!

thanke for making a demo version BTW..really helps us to decide on what's worth getting without simply "hoping" it'll be what we want :)

cresshead
03-02-2005, 03:06 PM
just been having a play....

like the sub d resolution buttons..great idea!..same with the bounding box presets...nice one!

only having played around for an hour or so and only read the quickstart guide so far but it looks pretty good so far.

one thing i'd like to ask is about the reset [middle mouse button] button does'n seem to fully reset some things like the thumb..i had a situation when the thumb had rotated inside the hand and i couldn't get it out of there...reset didn't do the job either...not sure why..it may have been somehting i did as i've been playing and may have done somthing i shouldn't have! :rolleyes:

would it be possible to add a set of hand pose buttons with maestro?

say about 4-5 hand poses with bones would be a great addition to get fast hand poses out and one would also act as a reset for the whole hand too.

cheers!

cresshead
03-02-2005, 03:14 PM
also would it be possible to add a "bone face rig" for animation?
rather than morphs...similar to what we have seen demo'd by messiah animate?

a bone rig could possibly faster to set up than a morph rig if the bones were placed in a head in a similar fashion to then skelgons for the main rig so that they could be setup in a few mins on a new character...maybe it's not doable
but i thought i'd ask...it may require weight maps which would slow down the rigging...what do you think?

steve g

intofx
03-02-2005, 04:44 PM
also would it be possible to add a "bone face rig" for animation?
rather than morphs...similar to what we have seen demo'd by messiah animate?

a bone rig could possibly faster to set up than a morph rig if the bones were placed in a head in a similar fashion to then skelgons for the main rig so that they could be setup in a few mins on a new character...maybe it's not doable
but i thought i'd ask...it may require weight maps which would slow down the rigging...what do you think?

steve g

Wow, I watched your demos and was very impressed and I'm not even a character animator. Is this compatible with mac?

TIA,
Matt

ericsmith
03-02-2005, 05:27 PM
ike the sub d resolution buttons..great idea!..same with the bounding box presets...nice one!

The really cool part is that you can create your own buttons to do other things. Anything that Lscript Commander can execute--whatever speeds up your workflow.

one thing i'd like to ask is about the reset [middle mouse button] button does'n seem to fully reset some things like the thumb..i had a situation when the thumb had rotated inside the hand and i couldn't get it out of there...reset didn't do the job either...not sure why..it may have been somehting i did as i've been playing and may have done somthing i shouldn't have!

What's happening is that the thumb is resetting to 0,0,0. That's the value that's in the reset field by default. But if you rig the character, select the thumb hotspot, go to hotspot properties, and hit the "Get Reset" button for each of the four reset channels. Then, when you middle mouse click to reset, it will set it to those values. For what it's worth, the reason I didn't set the default values to something more practical is that different sized characters would reset differently. I basically have no way of setting a default physical position for any size/proportion character.

This "Get Reset" button is actually a really cool feature. It's not quite pose saving, but it's a step in the right direction. And for what it's worth, pose saving is definitely something we're working on. The concepts we are working on will be absolutely amazing if we can get them to work.

also would it be possible to add a "bone face rig" for animation? rather than morphs...similar to what we have seen demo'd by messiah animate? a bone rig could possibly faster to set up than a morph rig if the bones were placed in a head in a similar fashion to then skelgons for the main rig so that they could be setup in a few mins on a new character...maybe it's not doable but i thought i'd ask...it may require weight maps which would slow down the rigging...what do you think?

I thought about doing this, and still may, but I figured that there's a lot more chance that the bones wouldn't influence the mesh in a predictable way without a lot of tweaking, based on how the face was modeled. Endomorphs just seem more predictable and precise when it comes down to it. But as I said, I will probably give it a try sometime in the near future.

Wow, I watched your demos and was very impressed and I'm not even a character animator. Is this compatible with mac?

Yes, it is compatible with Mac. We have found that there are some problems with OS 10.1, but OS 10.3.5 and above works.

Eric

riki
03-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the demo, I think it would be better though if it was 14 days from the time you launch.

ericsmith
03-02-2005, 06:32 PM
You may be right, but we had a lot of issues to consider to make a demo that was not easily exploitable, and what we came up with was the best solution we could think of that would give us a good balance between security and useability.

Eric

riki
03-02-2005, 11:50 PM
How do you install if you don't use the main LW Content Directory?

ericsmith
03-03-2005, 01:10 AM
I answered this in the Maestro forum on Kurv's site, but I'll answer here as well.

You can put the two plugins anywhere. Just make sure that the Maestro folder, with all of its content (background images, controller configs, .LSM files, etc) are in whatever content directory is specified in the general options panel. You can put a copy of the folder in any or all directorys that you want to use as content directories.

As a side note, the next update we're working on will have a config file, so you can put the Maestro folder wherever you want and then point to it in the config file, so the controller knows where to find everything its looking for.

Eric