PDA

View Full Version : Content directory setttings for multiple machines

Manowatt
02-28-2005, 01:00 PM
I've been using LW for years, and I'm ashamed to say that I still don't grasp the concept of the "Content Directory." Nor have I ever been able to find any good documention from NewTek on the subject.

If someone could please enlighten me, it would be greatly appreciated. At work I use a PC and my directory structure for a model (I rarely use scenes) looks something like this..."c:\documents\models\ach-47\lwo\"

My Content Directory is set to "c:\documents\models\"

Now if I need to work on my Mac at home and my model resides in "Documents:LightWave:Models:ach-47" shouldn't I set my Content Directory on the Mac to "Documents:LightWave:Models?" Now in both cases my model and images are all in that "ach-47" directory, but when I move from PC to Mac (and vice versa) I always have to point Modeler to my images again.

What gives? :confused:

MonroePoteet
02-28-2005, 01:21 PM
I use the Content Directory as a project container. LW looks for a particular set of subfolders, with the following names:

Envelopes
Images
Objects
Motions
Scenes
Surfaces

and perhaps others (I've never seen an officially documented list). I'm hoping that the Settings folder will encapsulate the CFG files.

I add my own subfolders to this list called Frames (for the framestore), Soundtrack (for any associated sounds), Pictures (for rendered pictures) and a few others. These aren't recognized by LW, but I find them useful for organizing the associated files.

So, I have a folder called \Newtek, which contains *everything* I use for Lightwave. Under it, I have a number of top-level folders (Animals, People, Cities, Space, etc.), each of which may either have the subfolders listed above directly, or just contain other folders for specific projects. For example, the Animals folder just contains project subfolders for various animals: Birds, Giraffe, etc., and these project subfolders then contain the Envelopes, Motions, etc.

As a matter of fact, I have a folder called "Template" which contains the set of subfolders. When I'm starting a new project, I just copy the Template folder to the appropriate location in my tree, then rename it to be my project name. Then, setting the Content Directory to the renamed folder, the arrangement of subfolders is all ready to go.

Anyway, just my organizational technique. Not necessarily the only way, or even the "right" way to do it, but it works for me.

mTp

Manowatt
02-28-2005, 01:34 PM
That's the most I've learned about the Content Directory structure ever! I didn't realize that LW actually looks for these predefined sub-directories. This would be great information to have in the LW documentation! ;)

Your system actually sounds like exactly what I need. I just get tired of transporting models between machines and constantly having to tell Modeler where my images are (even though they didn't move).

Thanks,
_b

DMarkwick
02-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Looks like LW could use a project management plugin :) where maybe you could design yourself a structure and have all your files snaffled away in the right places every time you saved.

MonroePoteet
02-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Once you've set up the subdirectories as described previously, each Save command in LW seems to find the right place. For example, if you Save Surface, it will default to the Surfaces subdirectory, Save Motion goes to Motions, etc. As well, the Load functions default accordingly (e.g. Load Motion looks in the Motions subdirectory, Load Images in the Images subdirectory, Load Object from Objects etc.).

Creating the Template directory as I described previously makes setting up the set of correcly-named subdirectories for each project quite easy, and LW seems to use them consistently.

mTp