PDA

View Full Version : Os 9.22/os 10.2.5

mwh710
04-17-2003, 09:52 PM
I am a High School teacher & will be getting a lab full (32) licenses of LightWave (upgrade from Inspire). We are presently running 9.2.2, because we need "FoolProof" on it to keep the students from messing with files, folders etc. Is it THAT big of a difference that I need to switch to 10.2.5? I personally use it at home & love it, but "FoolProof" isn't OS X native yet.

turbo
04-17-2003, 10:49 PM
but OSX is so OSXY.. haven't looked back.:D :cool: :D

Rory_L
04-18-2003, 04:11 AM
I`m on 9.2 and it`s slow and crashy. People say 10 is the Holy Grail.

R

eblu
04-18-2003, 08:07 AM
mwh710,
i am going to sound like a mindless sheep, but I believe that with 1 xserve, and remote desktop, a teacher can have incredible control over the computers that students use. go read their propiganda:

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

and if that sounds like its over your head, there are ways to severly limit a User's ability to tamper. take a look at the "accounts" panel in system preferences. check out the capabilities button, it allows precise control over system, and application access.

if you became familiar with the NetInfo dataBase (i highly suggest it for everybody) you could manually put your user's home directories on a separate drive (perhaps a network drive) and keep them out of the boot drive altogether, then if they screw up their home directory, you can simply delete its contents, without worrying about mucking with system software. this has the added benefit of quite possibly being a homebrew network login system, each student might be able to login to his/her username on any machine (i've never tried it myself, but i cant see why it wouldn't work).

basically, in my opinion, OSX is more open at the get go, compared to os 9, but it can become very controlled, and protected with very little effort.

paintboy
04-18-2003, 08:36 AM
not to mention placing your students at a distinct disadvantage
of having to try to use LW under 9 ...ugh!.:confused:
X is the way.

wapangy
04-18-2003, 12:36 PM
Ok, listen to me, I've had to use foolproof in schools, and I find it acually crashes the compters alot and slow things down. LightWave will work much better in 10.2.5.

10.2.5 has a great system for multiple users, you can set all sorts of things to say what a user can and cannot do. Trust me, forget foolproof and just use 10.2.5's built in capabilites.

filmguy1105
04-29-2003, 10:37 PM
You can also use the Netboot software included with OS X Server. It allows the lab computers to boot from a disk image on the server. You only have to manage one computer. The students can't break anything. If a computer crashes and is unrecoverable you just have to reboot and you get a brand new copy of the system and apps. Users home folders are stored wherever you want. Their preferences follow them around from computer to computer. I could go on and on. OS X Server is $500 (education price). The down side is that it can be difficult to set up. Once you've got it set you hardly ever have to mess with it. Check out my website for more info.
http://www.michaelverdi.com/html/netboot.html

mwh710
05-02-2003, 09:52 PM
Thanks, to all who have replied. I will try to set up my computers with OS X. I know I will have to boot back to 9 once in a while, because Director 8.5 is VERY unstable in Classic & I don't have the $ for MX. Thanks again, I let you know how the NetBoot goes, as soon as the semester is over. Don't want o take a chance with the end of school just aroud the corner.