PDA

View Full Version : Generating Moving Eyecandy

02-28-2005, 04:57 AM
I need find a way to generate what my boss refers to as 'moving abstract patterns/druggy screensaver stuff' to map onto video screens in presentations of designs for rock show sets ( the people who are going to generate the stuff for the actual shows are never 'on contract' untill long after our presentations are done).
Boss knows that the 'real stuff' is generated in " 'Combustion' or 'Flame' or something " - and in the way of bosses is sure that it's just done be pressing a couple of magic buttons and doesn't take much work at all from the operator.
Hmn.
I have done some stuff just using layers of moving LW noise mapped onto planes & tubes, but it's very hit'n miss and time consuming to set up.
Anyone got any bright ideas / plugin suggestions / etc ?

UnCommonGrafx
02-28-2005, 05:39 AM
http://digitaljuice.com

Sounds like if he wants some "button pressing" this is what you want.

Otherwise, one point polys and 2 point poly strings are your friend:
http://uncommongrafx.com/examples/Jumpback-Electric.html

Tom Wood
02-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I was going to suggest Digital Juice as well. To get it -really- abstract, render it out (using their Juicer) at slow or very slow and then apply a lot of blur. Or, you can get Mirage and use their volumetric lights or particles, and then blur those. Or, you could use Particle Illusion and do the same thing.

Edit: You could also use any video footage that has a lot of color in it. Night footage of some neon lights would work. Slow it down and blur the heck out of it. Flip it, copy it over itself, mix it with other stuff.

Pretty colors....

TW

(We used colored water and oil with clock lenses on an overhead projector way back when.)

MonroePoteet
02-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Using a classic kaleidescope technique might work. The following steps would do it:

1) Create a three-sided disk which is fairly long, remove the ends
2) Set the reflection to 100% and transparency to 100% (or lower)
3) Enable ray-traced reflections
4) Position the camera/object to look down the long end, filling the view as you like
5) Move stuff (pretty much anything) around behind it

This produces that classic orchestrated reflections upon reflections and three-way symmetry.

mTp

MonroePoteet
02-28-2005, 10:09 AM
I forgot to mention: flip the polygons on the Kaleidescope so the normals are inward, or make the polys double-sided.

mTp

Tom Wood
02-28-2005, 12:33 PM
If you do the kaleidescope technique then you could use some of the shaders and set them so they react to the camera angle. There's a couple in there that apply rainbow colors depending on the incident angle.

TW

munky
02-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi there,

If you have a lot of these to do I'd look at getting After fx or combustion with say a set of sapphire plugins and a mini dv camera, But that gets expensive.
You could look at getting footage from say "digitalvision" they will send you a cd of all their stuff in a browsable form (not useable though) so you could see if anything might be of use. As you are in the UK call them on 020 7378 5555.

If you are going to much of this in LW then look to using gobo's on your lights a lot. Make abstract shapes and shove points about so you get lots of poly wierdness happening. Animate all of your surface textures. Try out particles and HV's.

borrow a dv camera, shoot water, traffic, out of focus, super closeups of the telly, lights on tinfoil,convert the good bits to image sequences and add to lw or comp in afx combustion or dfx!

like the stuff below

when you add lots of this kind of stuff together you can get some amazing results

regards

paul

Ryhnio
03-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Adrian,

I shot you an e-mail and thought I would post some of the eye candy i've been working on-

Ry

http://homepage.mac.com/rrelitz/iMovieTheater9.html