PDA

View Full Version : Sony HDR-FX1 Won't Connect

bradl
02-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Still can't get the Sony HDR-FX1 to be recongized by VT4. The DVApp, Movie Maker, Nero, FCP, etc. all see it fine. I thought Paul said it was fixed for the latest Patch (5522). Guess not...

edit- Premiere Pro worked with it great.

ScorpioProd
02-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Just a workaround suggestion...

Dub the downconverted DV to a DV/DVCAM deck, you won't lose any quality, then firewire that into VT[4].

inquisitive
08-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Hi Brad,

Did you ever get this to work? and while i have your attention, can this camera also record non-HD? and that footage be handled by VT4?

ScorpioProd
08-01-2005, 11:22 PM
The FX1 can record DV or HDV2 and the Z1 can record DV, DVCAM or HDV2.

Ivan
08-02-2005, 05:30 AM
Don't be to hard on Newtek if the FX1 doesn't connect. FCP-HD doesn't see it either, you need to upgrade to FCP-5 or IMovie HD (as though IMovie HD is an upgrade).

You could bring in the footage via YC couldn't you? The picture quality should not suffer much more going to analog than being trancoded into DV.

Ivan

PS. Just shot a project with the FX1 and the HZ1 side by side. Both great cameras but edited a 44 second piece in IMovie HD and it took 25 minutes to render and output back to the camera. I'm just not ready for those render times yet.

mnbear
08-02-2005, 09:10 AM
I have a sony HDR-FX1 and I just use FCP5 to capture footage then send it over to the toaster system.

The more I use the mac the more impressed I am. Motion 2 pretty much stole my heart. I spend more time in that program than is reasonable. As for render times can be a bummer, but It gives me an opportunity to mow the yard or do laundry. LOL

Ivan, its a sin that you and I don't collaborate more considering you live in the twin cities! I'm going to try to make the user group meeting, btw!

Jim

Ivan
08-02-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi Jim,

I'd love to work with you on some stuff. Bring some of your HD footage to the meeting tonight, I have a projector that will display 1080i and it looks great. If you show up we will have 4 people there that have HDV cameras and you can compare notes. Two have the FX1 and one has the HZ1. If I remember, you have the FX1. The Z1 has some nice features that the FX1 is missing but I'm not sure that it's worth the extra $2k for what most are doing.

I have actually shot 3 projects now with HDV but I am still delivering in SD. I look forward to seeing you tonight.

Ivan

abrenz
08-02-2005, 11:00 AM
I noticed when I first connected my FX1, I had the DV out configured for HDV and couldn't get the PC to recognize it. Had to go into the FX1 menu and change the option from HDV to DV and it worked fine. Sorry, I'm at work so I don't have the specific info. (Of course, then you're stuck to DV resolution).

Andy

mnbear
08-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Yep, that works for me, too. I prefer, though, to download it in 1080i and then convert the video.

Another thing you could try is using HDCONNECT which uses an intermediary format. Its editable in VTEDIT.