PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any ideas for my cg jobsite?

99sproth
02-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Hi

Im going to be hitting most the 3d communities with this question. If your on raph, cgtalk or renderosity, you've probably seen the site already.

Well basicly I'm creating a free jobsite for animators to post themselves and their info, so people looking for artists can find them. There is also a board for people to post jobs on a application specific basis.

jobs.machinestudios.co.uk (http://jobs.machinestudios.co.uk)

If your looking for work sign up, its free!

If anyone has any ideas to help make the site better I would very much appreciate it. The cgtalk guys were very helpful in finding bugs and making suggestions. This is my pet project and I really want it to take off!

Thanks guys

Simon

99sproth
02-27-2005, 04:07 PM
I'll take that as ..no

toonafish
03-01-2005, 05:19 PM
looks good. Just registered, thanks for the free service. One thing that I noticed, when you do a search on "professionals" you can only sort by 2D software. That's a bit weird when you're looking for a 3D artist. Also when you click on an artists link, it might be more convenient when the page opens in a new window.

Fish
http://www.toonafish.nl

tischbein3
03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
also it would be nice to additionally display the user data for wich you sort:

lets say if someone wants to sort it by location, it would make quite sense to
display this in the search list :D

but really a nice fast site...

99sproth
03-02-2005, 04:31 AM
Thanks guys.

Thats a good point. It does need that I'll sort that.

but really a nice fast site...

Thats cause barely anybody uses it. hehe

Also when you click on an artists link, it might be more convenient when the page opens in a new window.

I'm worried that some peoples popup blockers might stop that from working(?) I might try putting that in. I'll get to work straight away!

Cheers for the feedback guys!

Simon

peteb
03-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Yeah all seems to work pretty well. The only thing I didn't get and it might be just because I'm a bit thick but under jobs it says one post but when I click to view I only have an option to post. Like I say probably just me being stupid.
Also I know the colour scheme is very trendy looking but for some reason I find the colours a bit drab and depressing. If I was looking for a job I think I'd feel even more down after going to the site. Again probably just me.

Hope it all works out for you.

Pete B

99sproth
03-02-2005, 10:29 AM
drab and depressing

What colours would you like? I was thinking black white grey and orange...
... the template from machinestudios website even. it would fit with our themes.

Check out my site below to see what I mean. The site is very new and i could probably manage to change it.

The only thing I didn't get and it might be just because I'm a bit thick but under jobs it says one post but when I click to view I only have an option to post.

Did you look below that?

Simon

peteb
03-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Yeah I prefer the colour scheme of your main site.

I did see the post below but wasn't sure if it was actually a post. Would it be an idea to have a title saying post 1 or something? I guess if it was a proper post it would be obvious but it would be nice to see clearly what post you were on.

Pete B

meshmaster
03-02-2005, 10:52 AM
Only thing I'm worried about is that you could get in to trouble having everybody's email addresses so visible to the world (spammers)

99sproth
03-02-2005, 10:59 AM
You think so?

You'd have to physically copy and paste each one.

The pages are php and so are generated from the database, so they cant just be leeched off the server.

The emails could just be a hyperlink eg like this

simonsemail ([email protected])

Would that be better?

I don't want to be too cryptic or nobody will bother using it.

-Simon

99sproth
03-02-2005, 11:20 AM
:Update:

The professionals page now shows the location!

And I've made the emails hidden on the professionals page. Now to stop some of the spamming concerns you've raised.

Cheers

Simon

toonafish
03-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Popped by your own machinestudios webpage and stubled upon the quotes for "ultra high rez" characters. Just out of curiosity, how can you provide characters that cheap ? You must have a dozen vertexpushers hidden in the cellar living on rice and water :-)

99sproth
03-02-2005, 04:41 PM
Popped by your own machinestudios webpage and stubled upon the quotes for "ultra high rez" characters. Just out of curiosity, how can you provide characters that cheap ? You must have a dozen vertexpushers hidden in the cellar living on rice and water :-)

Hehe maybe I do, whassit to you? (my freelancers are dieing for work and just will work for food)

Nah I need to update the site lots. thats without textures and rigging mind you. Although I wouldnt put it up by more than 200. Thing is having quotes on there is a bit of a joke really because no project is ever the same or predictable.

meshmaster
03-03-2005, 08:29 AM
How about a forum? If you don't personally have the webspace or want to flip the bill for a forum on the site for site related issues, what about http://www.forumer.com/ or similar place?

Also, what about a freelance spot for musicians and programmers too?!? and include other lesser known 3d apps like trueSpace, etc.

There are lots of freelance musians out there I think...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=freelance+midi

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=freelance+musician

99sproth
03-03-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm considering a forum. I can have one on there in a click of a button. :)

Problem is, does cg related issues need ANOTHER forum? On cg talk it was decided it would be a waste.

As for more software I'm always wary, but if theres the demand I'll put it on there. Eg the blender community emailed me asking for it to be included so it was. although only 4 people signed up using blender in the end anyway.

Its just the thing is, you dont really hear of studios using apps that arnt very mainstream.

As for music writers.. the site was meant to be just cg. there are plenty of generic sites. And plenty of music work sites.

Ill look into the forum. Thanks again for the input.

Simon

99sproth
04-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Hi again.

I just wanted to say I've fixed tons of the site and dues to popular demand there now is a forum! So go there and sign up!

Any more ideas will be appreciated. :o

Thanks for the support.

Simon