PDA

View Full Version : Isolating Surfaces?

bcicio
02-26-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm new to Lightwave, but getting there. I've been modeling a multi-surfaced object across multiple layers, but then moving each surfaced part to a main layer once I am happy with it's position. (I thought this was the best route to take since I do not need any part of the item to move independently from the rest.) But now I realize that I might like to create and apply a UV Map to some of these surfaces. Dooooooh!

Is there any way to isolate out a single surface in a layer that containings multiple surfaces? I would like to simply grab these polys and transfer them back to a separate layer so I can create a UV map of the part more easily. It would be a lot easier than trying to mouse select the specific polys.

Now that I think about it, I guess I could use the bracket key to select the rest of the attached polys that are part of the needed surface -- but I am still curious if a given surface name can be isolated out easily.

Thanks.

MonroePoteet
02-26-2005, 01:34 PM
If you set your mode to Polygons, then bring up the Statistics window (using the 'w' shortcut), there is a pulldown for the number of polygons with each surface. If you select a surface, the "+" key in the left-hand column will become active. Pressing this will select all the polygons with that surface. The "-" key will deselect them by surface as well.

mTp

Silkrooster
02-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Yep, using the ] key will select the all attached polys. You could also select the one you don't want and use the " key to invert your selection, or you can press the w key to bring up the statistics panel, make sure your in polygon selection mode and select the surface name.
One thing you will learn about this program is there is more than one to do just about everything.
Silk

bcicio
02-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks, guys. I had tried statistics but I guess I must have been in Point mode at the time. I appreciate the help.