PDA

View Full Version : Best approach to posing for stills

dmg3d
02-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Here's the setup:

You're doing an illustration for a book cover, say of Rick Deckard running from Roy Batty on the roof of a building (Blade Runner). Deckard clutches his gun; trenchcoat flowing/wrinkled; facial grimace; realistic textures.

What's your approach to posing for a still image? Forget the rig and just model the pose? What about the textures then? Spend the time on bones and weight maps? Use Morph Mixer for the pose?

What if you're asked to do three different poses?

Any thoughts?

SplineGod
02-26-2005, 12:32 AM
It depends. Is it just a one shot deal or will you have to pose it several times?

dmg3d
02-26-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi Larry-

I guess I'm curious to artists approach to either situation... doing a one-shot or a multi-pose illustration. When doing a "realistic" still you have to be more critical of things like the folds and wrinkles. What setup will give you the most control when you're looking at a rendered pose and you say to yourself "there should be a few more creases in the coat at that bend in the arm"?

I always see people discussing animating techniques, but not their "modus operandi" for doing still work.

Thanks
-Dave

SplineGod
02-26-2005, 06:16 PM
I would just rig it and do the wrinkles and creases as endomorphs so its not permanent. In some cases you may need to have several versions of the same coat for example to get things exactly right. The requirements for stills arent too different then animating. Both have to look good :)

dmg3d
02-27-2005, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the input Larry.

starbase1
02-28-2005, 05:06 AM
What about using Poser? I would have thought if you are working for a one off still image, it could save some disproportional effort...

I also like the way that it is easy to find pretty good extras in terms of figures, in terms of poses, figures, motion sequences etc, for a very good price...

Nick

dmg3d
02-28-2005, 07:39 AM
You know, I actually have Poser (got it before LW 6.5), with that thought in mind... but going from Poser to Lightwave never seemed to work right (maybe it's different now)... and texturing was a pain...

But yeah, some of the Poser stuff nowadays looks pretty nice... although, I feel like I can pick out a Poser scene from other scenes...

Thanks for the thoughts.
-Dave

starbase1
02-28-2005, 12:24 PM
I know what you mean - the poser pro pack has been withdrawn I think, but I am using LW7.5, and it manages to import the bump maps and main UV maps rather well. Also Daz now have their Victoria3 and Micheal3 available for free, which is a great help.

I have also got rather good results exporting the skeleton in 6 different poses for morph targets.

It's certainly got rough edges, but its a good price...

Nick