PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs help with a simple model...

mabaza
02-24-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm a complete CG newbie who is trying to sharpen his skills by modeling as many different types of (simple) objects as possible. I figure once I cut my teeth on the simple stuff I can move on to more complicated projects... :p

I'm currently trying to make a simple screw but I can't figure out how to do the slots at the top. My approach to the problem was to select a row of polys on the screw head, smooth shift them and then move the new geometry down. Problem solved! Not quite. In the screenshots, you can see the polys I plan on smooth shifting. The problem is that the slot would end up being too wide on the ends and too narrow in the middle. When I try to move points around, I get wierd poly pinching. What's th bes tway to approach this deceptively simple looking problem.???

Silkrooster
02-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Is the head of the screw sub patched? If it is not then a boolean subtraction would work. By created a box in the background layer and subtract that from the head of the screw.
If it is sub patched, try changing the shape before you do a smooth shift, or reconstruct the polys on the top to make the lines straighter.
One critic though, the threads look like they are spaced to far apart, do you have a screw to look at for reference? If not do a search on google or other search engine for hardware screws (Becareful, this could result in things you don't want to see, if you know what I mean. :eek: ) Maybe a better solution is to goto a hardware web site, so you know what your going to be looking at.
Silk

lesterfoster
02-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Silkrooster!! Man! You are fast.