PDA

View Full Version : Newbie just learning the ropes.

02-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Hello Everyone.
I am very new to 3-D. Right now I'm studying modeler.
I need to know, when you make for example; two separate polygons and you
want to apply a different color to each of their surfaces, how is this done?

I've selected a polygon, gave it a color, but both of them changed to that color
instead of the one selected.

Also, in Layout, is there any way to have none of the objects selected at all?
There always seem to be something (object, lights or camera) that is selected.

Thanks.

Silkrooster
02-24-2005, 08:16 PM
First welcome aboard. Now to give polys different color or textures you need to surface them, this is done by pressing the q button and giving the surface a name. Any poly that uses this surface will be the same. So you could start by not selecting any polys, press the q key, to surface the whole object. Then select the polys you want different and give that a surface name.
Now you goto the surface editor, shortcut is the F5 key. Once you open the surface editor, you will see the names you created. Select a name and change the settings as needed.
I highly recommend that you read the manual, it goes into great detail on how surfacing objects and using the surface editor. If you did not get a book with your program, you should be able to find a pdf file on your CD or you can goto the location on Newtek's web site, where you registered and download the pdf.
I hope this helps, if you need more information, let us know.
Silk

lesterfoster
02-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Silkrooster!! You beat me to this one by only 2 or 3 minutes. :)

118707. Wellcome to the community. :)

02-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks for your help.
I had read the manual but for some reason... this simple answer got past me.

Believe me, it took me two weeks to figure out the points and poly thing.

The animation, lighting and layout seems easy ( I come from the old school
animation background)...

my desire is to build everything in 3-D instead of 2-D.

I hope I can add to this community over time.

Thank you-- once again.

Silkrooster
02-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey,
We have all been there. It is easy to over look something. That is where forum like this help.
Silk

02-25-2005, 06:48 AM
thanks for you time.
I'm very excited about this new chapter in my art.
I will have other "basic" questions of course.

c0deb0y
03-01-2005, 05:59 PM
You may already know this but I still get dinged on it sometimes. If you make changes to the surface of an object within Layout and save the scene, you must also chose "save all objects" or the next time you open up your scene, all of the adjustments made to the object's surfaces will be gone.

Note to Newtek, if at all possible, can we get a message when closing Layout that changes have been made to objects and ask if we want to save changes to the objects?

lesterfoster
03-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Note to Newtek, if at all possible, can we get a message when closing Layout that changes have been made to objects and ask if we want to save changes to the objects?

I agree with you. I cant see how newtek overlooked this simple solution.

Silkrooster
03-01-2005, 07:48 PM
I agree, it would be nice to see a pop up reminder about saving objects, I almost think there is no reminder for changes to the scene either.
I guess that is why most tutorials stress the point of saving the scene and objects before going on something else, especially before rendering.
If you leave modeler open in the background, and you make changes to the textures. Modeler will place an * symbol in the file name showing that it needs to be saved. Also this gives you one more chance to save your textures should you shut down layout before saving.
I just tried something, I opened an object in modeler and transferred it to layout. I changed the color of the object and verified that the * symbol does show up. I then closed modeler and told it not to save the object. The new surface in layout is now gone. BTW there is a pop up window in modeler asking if you want to save the object.
Silk