PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Naval ship hull construction

macc
02-24-2005, 05:12 PM
Hello all,

I could do with some advice/help on a matter of Naval ship hull construction ways.

Could any one please explain an easy way to construct and then smootha nd shape said hulls; i won`t bore you with the tests which have faild up to date, but, am open to all and any good straight forward idea`s you can supply me with...

Cheers and many thank`s and regards to all.

Tom.......... :)

PS........Using LW 7.0 and thinking of uping to 7.5C....................tff.

Marcia
02-25-2005, 09:59 AM
Have you tried spline patches using profiles of the hull as a frame?

Take the plunge on 7.5, but get the "d" patch instead of "c".

macc
02-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Marcia,

Thanks for BOTH!! bit of advice will get ""d""

Tom...... :cool:

mattclary
02-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Yep, definitely splines.

Silkrooster
02-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Someplace there is a tutorial of a row boat using splines. I don't recall where I saw it. If you could find this it would introduce you to spline and show a small version of a hull sort of speak. It just doesn't have a top deck.
Edit: Well, I did not find that tutorial, but I did find this vicking ship tutorial using splines. Hope this helps. http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/LW_spline.htm
Silk

macc
02-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Silkrooster,

Grateful thanks to you, tis is JUST the sort of thing I am needing; me thinks the same proceedure will aford me a deck, if you find any more of the same type of tuts/info, can you let me know if thats not being to much of a pain, two sets of eyes and all that :D.

Still am as I say very grateful to you, and the others here for this valued help and assistance, cheers and regards to you and yours.

Tom... :)

munky
02-26-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi there,

the row boat tutorial is in "Inside Lightwave 6" by Dan Ablan. However I just got an email from Splinegod about his new Spline tutorial video. Here is a link to where you can check it out and perhaps buy it, http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/splines.html

regards

paul

MonroePoteet
02-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Probably the wrong way to do it, but here's my approach:

I use the magnet tool (shortcut ":") and the pole tool (I assign the ";" shortcut) to pull a sphere/box into the shape I want. Using right-drag, you can shape the area of the effect and its center very accurately. Then, I use the TAB key to convert to patches, metaforming first to get quads, if necessary.

It's easier with V8.2 and the Symmetry capability, since in previous versions, I'd have to slice down the center, Set Value the center points to 0, mirror it, and merge points.

mTp

Silkrooster
02-26-2005, 01:59 PM
I don't know if there really is a wrong way to do something as along as you accomlish the same thing. Someways are just shorter and easier than others. Paul,
Thanks for the tip.
Silk