PDA

View Full Version : interleaved stereo in LW 8?

george popovich
02-24-2005, 10:43 AM
We used Lightwave a few years ago to make interleaved (interlaced) stereo in Lightwave for used in polarized 3d stereo projection. It was a pain. We had to use a pixel map and render the left and right views seperately and then render everything again.

Does Lightwave 8 have an easier method for creating interlaced (interleaved stereo). I am not talking about anaglyph stereo.

SplineGod
02-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Im pretty sure you need to render them separately and then use a 3rd party app to comp them as ood/even fields

JamesCurtis
02-25-2005, 06:49 AM
I had tried it one time to do a LW animated sequence for the shutter glasses system, it involved rendering out the stereo pairs and then using LW. It used the background image for one field and the foreground image with alternating lines of black/white to block out one of the fields. It worked pretty well for that experiment, and it was cool seeing my sequence in true Stereo 3D.

It was a pain determining which field was being displayed first though. Fortunately, the glasses system I have [for video] has a switch to reverse the field order on the fly if the image depth is reversed.

The shutter glasses system was really inexpensive, like $89.00 w/three 3D 45 minute programs. I think the company is still around, though I think it has had a few name changes since i bought mine. I had originally picked mine up from Best Buy.

george popovich
02-25-2005, 07:51 AM
Yes, we did the odd/even thing and the “pixel map” b and w thing. We created an entire stage play in 3D stereo. You can check it out here:

http://www.hfcctheater.com/vtl/index.htm

The problem is it’s a pain. 3D studio max does it all for you. See:

http://iglasses.weirdoz.org/stereo/3dsmax/

I was wondering if the new LW had a similar function. Does not look like it.

SplineGod
02-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Ive worked on two 3D Stereo Imax films. On one we used a 3D shutter system to preview the effect . We created a stereo camera rig in LW then rendered out both camera views and then both were comped together in AE I believe.

Also I did this sort of thing way back on the Amiga. Newtek had a paint program called Digipaint3 that allowed you to paint in the odd/even fields to create 3D graphics. I had built a circuit that allowed me to watch the Stereo 3D images off any NTSC source. So I could record my animations/graphics out to video tape and watch then in 3D off any TV. The same circuit allowed me to also use two video cameras to create and record stereo 3D. :)