PDA

View Full Version : now.....the machine to run it

hardlanding
02-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Ok, with input from some of you guys, i have decided LW if the package for me. Now i have to build a new machine that will handle it without struggling. I want to build a machine from a bare bones system from like tigerdirect or mwave. i have an approx. budget of $2500. My pre-thoughts are a 3.2g proc., 2gb ram, scsi hard drive(s). I have always liked the results i have gotten out of my nvidia video cards, so i would like to stay with one of those.....i just dont know which model. a guy at my office said he could build it for me since i am a neophyte when it comes to putting together a system. i would just like for some of you experienced users to give me some helpful hints if you dont mind. keep in mind i will also be running AutoCad, Photoshop, and other photo editors.
Ok, all that said, do you see anything i got totally wrong? any improvements? do i need to go up in ram? what kind of ram (ddr, ddr2)? any guidance you could give me would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Joseph Burrell
02-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Why wouldn't a dual processor Xeon or Opteron be better? That's the way I'm thinking of going. Can anyone think of a reason not to?

Captain Obvious
02-24-2005, 05:23 PM
Dual Xeons are pretty much the optimal setup for Lightwave. If you don't do video editing, SCSI-drives are definitely overkill.

kfinla
02-24-2005, 05:53 PM
nvidia cards are good.. one thing to keep in mind though is that sadly the graphics drivers in LW are kinda sluggish.having the latest greatest graphics card wont be a huge factor in preformance. If you use other 3d apps ie. maya you will probably notice the difference in cards, and even a preformance improvement when working with the same model with LW and then Maya, assuming it has some complexity.

my reaction is scsi drives are overkill and lots of money.. id have more than 2gb of ram if my system supported it... but im also a zbrush user.

Joseph Burrell
02-25-2005, 07:11 AM
Here's what I was thinking of in the future...

Tyan Dual Opteron Mobo
2 Gig of RAM (1 gig sticks for upgrading later)
ATI Fire 5100
Opteron 246 CPU (x 2)
OS Drive: 74 GB Raptor
Audio/Video Drive: 160 GB Seagate SATA
Other Drive: 160 GB Seagate SATA
Windows XP Pro
Enermax 660 Watt P/S

Without case and monitor, this would set you back about 2.5 to 3 grand.

I'm curious as to how many dual Opteron users there are versus Xeon's.

hardlanding
02-25-2005, 01:49 PM
thanks for the input guys. i wasnt really looking for a prebuilt system, but this one caught my eye.....what do you think?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=767682&CatId=1344