PDA

View Full Version : Aura and Lightwave Texture Painting Support!

wgreenlee1
02-07-2003, 06:42 PM
What?
When?
WHere?
How?
Why?

Lets get it on!

Lamont
02-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Well, what you can do is this:

One of our guys made a script a while back that did updating of textures (only works with PSD format for some reason...) and just painted away. It worked... somewhat.

I'll hunt him down (he doesn't work here anymore..) and ask.

wgreenlee1
02-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Yeah,if you find out post it in the Lscript section here.
There will be a lot of people wanting to see that!

Lamont
02-07-2003, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I've been studying Lscript for the past few weeks... I think I can do it.

wgreenlee1
02-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Well you would think between .grgs and .ls someone couldve figured out how to do this.
I am now where close to do any kinda scripting but they are supposed to be on the way with an update for Aura and Lightwave to fix all this.
Right now it just seems like "back and forth,back and forth".

Prosprctor
02-10-2003, 10:08 AM
LW 8
merged with Aura 3
painting on object in the perspective window !!!
Cool

Qslugs
02-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Where'd you read that one at? I mean it makes sense and all, I guess thats why theres been that delay for the aura patch.

Skonk
02-10-2003, 12:33 PM
Will be good if that actually happens :)

James..

Elmar Moelzer
02-10-2003, 01:03 PM
My vote on this! Make Aura (or a light- version of it) part of the LW- package. As a standallone- product it has a hard time anyway and this packaging- technique works fine with VTNT as well.
Aura will have 3d- painting as has been announced already so it would be the perfect match especially considering that it is capable of exporting LW- motion- files and envelopes. LW could use a good post- part anyway... As Aura is a videopainter as well I can imagine one could do great stuff by using it for animated BG and FG images in LW too...
Would be pretty cool!
Only thing I dont like about Aura is that it is not FP- image- capable. Just imagine that in a combo with LW! This would rock!
CU
Elmar

Skonk
02-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Sounds good :)

Qslugs
02-12-2003, 02:36 PM
Well if Newtek were smart they would fully incorporate Aura in LW. Although if they were to do this a full pipeline would be a must. If it were possible, I would imagine all sorts of great animation opportunities would be available on the 2d and compositing side along with the texture painting on objects. Man I can see it now. An actual total creative work enviorment. Having the option to fully animate 2d as well as 3d directly from within LW would be kick ***. Actually, once you're done with your rendering and stuff you could then do all your compositing and effects right in LW. There might be some adjusting on the 2d side to really accomplish that though. I still like lost about other compositing apps that would keep me to go straight Aura. I guess though that that solution would end up being kind of a Softimage DS type package. Hey it sure does sound cool just thinking about it.

Prosprctor
02-12-2003, 05:15 PM
HMMM
fully incorporate into LW ??
Not sure bout that cuz we need it for the VT and running the VT AND LW would hog alot of resources from the video end, but it would be nice to go thru the Hub and paint onto the objects,and with the george scripts it might even be possable to paint in short video bursts onto the object (girl blushing, guy gettin red faced mad,blood flowin out of wound and such...

Qslugs
02-12-2003, 05:34 PM
My mistake, I guess I was thinking initially of the LW people. I fogot all about you vt2 guys.

Jimzip
02-12-2003, 07:23 PM
I think the idea that was on the wish list about Lightwave paint was an awesome one! Like Maya PaintFX only for Lightwave! Wouldn't that be awesome!

jin choung
02-13-2003, 03:45 AM
i too would like clarification on exactly how the aura/lw filter works and how the two apps can interact now for texture painting.

but i do get the feeling that it is 'back and forth back and forth'... albeit with autoupdating, which in itself is a valuable thing.

it would be very cool if they had a 3d view in aura (or simply hijack a lw viewport) so that you paint in 2d on the texture page and you see the stroke on your model. if they even had a KEEP ON TOP option for lw, it would be possible to do this if the new plugin autoupdates - BUT - the problem then is that lw's window can only be reduced so much... it occupies more than a quarter of screen realestate at 1024x786 - TOO BIG.

well, i hope this plugin will have addressed all my concerns and we'll find a super compelling reason to plunk down on a copy of aura....

jin

p.s. i still don't get aura... on the features, they talk about onion skinning for 2d animators and such but who the heck hand animates cels directly on a computer? everything i've seen is flash or calibrated scanned paper drawings....

jaspar
02-13-2003, 04:26 AM
Some people are as comfortable at drawing with a graphics tablet as by hand (I'm not one of them). Alot of the better (but larger) Flash animations don't use tweening as the main animation method, each frame is individually drawn, this is usually necessary for characters.

As far as I can tell, you'd use Aura on Lightwave animations in much the same way as you'd use Photoshop on Lightwave stills. Some people like using post-render effects alot in their images, but it's not practical to use Photoshop for animations, because although you can do batches, it's not interactive. Never used Aura though, so quite happy to be corrected by someone who knows.

Prosprctor
02-13-2003, 01:18 PM
p.s. i still don't get aura... on the features, they talk about onion skinning for 2d animators and such but who the heck hand animates cels directly on a computer? everything i've seen is flash or calibrated scanned paper drawings....

Easy question....

with a writing pad and onion skinning I can do hand written signatures over a 30 frame anim and using the onion skin I can copy each layer by tracing and because each will be just a little different, when played out it looks like the fast changing fonts like the ones that are used on the Tracy Ulman show or the Simpsons.
and if I do that with an oil brush and make a frame around a pic , and trace over 30 frames, the frame does the same thing.
Looks rather cool.

ToonShady
02-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Hey Jin, my interest in 3d character animation. But at times, I find myself getting sick of animating with the mouse, so I like to use Aura demo to animate. Sometimes I need to get words like nulls, bones, expressions, rigs out of my head and think of plain and simple animation. It's like photoshop/painter but with a timeline for animation.