PDA

View Full Version : I need an advice...

fboulene
02-24-2005, 12:25 AM
I just got this mail :

Get all the popular software you ever imagined for wholesale prices!
Our software is 2-10 times cheaper than sold by our competitors

http://www.infrasoft.biz

What do you think ? Any experience with this company ?

Thanks

Francois Boulene

Dodgy
02-24-2005, 04:49 AM
SOunds like dodgy software to me...

MooseDog
02-24-2005, 06:31 AM
no manual? no support?

caveat emptor ;)

(that's buyer beware :cool: )

ted
02-24-2005, 09:59 AM
If it's too good to be true.... :rolleyes:

prospector
02-24-2005, 12:19 PM
Dunno...
They do the same thing at Best Buy, Staples, Wall Mart.

If you buy the proggy in a box then it's alot higher than if you go to the turnstyle and just get it in a jewel case.

ACLOBO
02-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Ok, I just orderd some software from a site that I had not previously done business with that offered some really GREAT deals on software / price. The seem to be dragging their feet as far as the order being sent out (they accepted payment soon enough though). However, I just received a notice in the mail that it will be sent via Fed-ex tomorrow and they gave me a tracking number for it. However, the tracking number seems to be an old one that was previously used for someone ele's order.

Having been in the shipping business before, I realize that tracking numbers are recylced from time to time. So, if the info that corresponds to this tracking info doesn't change by tomorrow afternoon, I will most likely be calling my bank to tell them to reverse that credit charge.

That is key here - only pay with a credit card so if there is something wrong you can tell your bank to handle the collection of the money that you paid for no/shoddy products.

Of course the best bet is deal only with companies you have heard about that have a good reputation. I am giving the company I went through the benefit of the doubt for another day.

-Adrian

mattclary
02-25-2005, 04:53 AM
Anyone buying software from one of these sites needs their head examined. It's obviously warez.

Quote: "This software is recognized as a backup software." Well, which is it, "backup" software or OEM software? OEM software is pretty much only sold with hardware. No street adress under contact info... Baaaaaaaad news in my opinion.

If they will sell pirated software, what will they do with your credit card information? :rolleyes:

prospector
02-25-2005, 05:05 AM
OH yea...
dang fine print :D

gjjackson
02-25-2005, 07:05 AM
I have bought from one company that was similar, but it was usually older software, which, in some instances, was fine for me, e.g., Corel and MathCad. The new versions of these had just come out and what I got was 2 versions back. For what I wanted that was fine. As far as the OEM, my understanding is that it's software that was bought by computer resellers for package bundling with PC's, hence no manual etc. and that it is backup for what would've been bundled. Now, I 'assume' that the resellers had leftovers and are allowed to sell it at whatever cost. What I did buy I was able to complete the registration with no problems. If I would've had problems then I'd been upset. So with all said I'd assume for the moment it's legit. The company I dealt with was JCS Multimedia. It seems no different than going to a local retailer and finding older software at closeout prices and many times dirt cheap. What few games I buy that's what I generally do. For less than ten bucks you can buy a previously priced game at 50.

For the moment I'll give the benefit of the doubt, but will be a little hesitant. The only reason I went with JCS is because they had came here during a computer fair event. For that reason I'd probably not buy from them, because I've never dealt with them.

Well, I just decided to go to JCS website out of curiosity and evidently they are out of business. Now I'm getting suspicious. I did get my product and it was packaged and looked as original, but don't know now.

lesterfoster
02-25-2005, 07:06 AM
It is my bet that they infect that software with spy-ware so that they can watch you.

ACLOBO
02-25-2005, 09:52 PM
www.compsoftgroup.com is the site I ordered from last week. I checked my tracking number today and the software seems to be on its way. This site claims that they deal in large volume OEM stuff. That was the only reason I took a chance. I was going to have my bank cancel payment if the previously listed tracking number was not working by today (tracking numbers are recycled all the time). So, my software should be here by next week. At that time I will definitely be running every spyware / virus checker I have on it. In looking at their stock, it seems that they only had Adobe and Microsoft products. I actually did a search on their site for software that I knew would never be sold like this and nothing showed up - this is why I figured that they were legit.

The sites that I totally steer away from are those that offer big name software as a download. These places are easy to spot as their "help" section lists common questions about download problems and interruptions - I would never order from a place like this.

As far as my credit card info goes - I look at my online statements every day. If I see anything that looks wrong - I jump on it.

fboulene
02-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks everyone for your advices.

I won't go this way.

Francois Boulene