PDA

View Full Version : (free) Matrox DV Codec

irfan
04-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Hi:

I've been playing around with the (free) Matrox DV codecs available on their site under Digisuite software updates section.

I use it to send files to some folks who have Digisuites in their studios and only want video encoded using that codec.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to do a proper cpu overhead study yet. Has anyone else tried it? I could do a sample render using this codec if you point me to standard footage that I can use. We could then do a quality comparison with other codecs that folks are using that I haven't bought yet.

Irfan

Faraz
04-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Hey-

I've been told by Paul and many others not install the codec as it does some funky stuff. I do know that I'm running a Matrox RTX.100 and Toaster in the same machine and they are working great. You're not supposed to do this, but what the heck; its working know.

Installing the card of course installed the codecs as well.

Faraz Ahmed

mrjaialai
04-19-2003, 11:44 AM
I use the matrox codecs and have never had a problem. On my machine they seem to work better than most other codecs I hear people talking about on the forums, like PicVideo. But that's not the case for everybody.

irfan
04-28-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by mrjaialai
I use the matrox codecs and have never had a problem. On my machine they seem to work better than most other codecs I hear people talking about on the forums, like PicVideo. But that's not the case for everybody.

Thanks, mrjaialai. I'm glad I'm not the only one using that codec. Like I've said before, I haven't done a thorough quality comparison yet.

mrjaialai: do you have a Matrox Digisuite by any chance?

Wassalam,

Irfan

mrjaialai
04-29-2003, 09:52 AM
I did for like a week, but the board was bad and the dealer was a pain in my *ss, so I just took the refund and went to another dealer. I have a pinnacle suite and the T2, but I do pretty much everything on the toaster. 40+ hours of live production each and every week.

I've found the quality of the Matrox codec to be pretty good, but I still use rtv for almost everything in my live applications.

OBroschart
10-21-2003, 12:12 PM
I don't get it. I'm trying to bring in MJPEG footage from a DigisuiteLE. I installed the free Matrox codecs. VT[2] and now VT[3] locks up every time I access the file in TED.

If I remove the free Matrox codecs, then VT[3] doesn't even recognise the AVI as playable.

Paul Lara says NO, not to install the codecs, telephone tech support says YES that I need to if VT is to play the files, you guys say that you have no problems, and in the TE & Matrox thread
(NewTek Discussions > Video Toaster > VT - ToasterEdit > TE & Matrox) they akin Matrox to the dark lord...

Obviously there's some confusion here.

So... what do I need to do to have VT[3] work directly with the MJPEG clips that the Digisuite LE creates?

-should it work out of the box? yes? no?
-do I need to rebuild my OS if I've installed and removed the Matrox codecs to make it all work? yes? no?

Please Newtek! What is the word?

djlithium
10-24-2003, 01:18 AM
The codecs from Matrox are several.
The codec for the RT2500 is a no go for the VT2 for sure or VT3.
Don't install it. Other codecs from the digisuite might be okay.

OBroschart
10-24-2003, 07:15 AM
As far as I understand, the Matrox DV codecs are the same for the RT series as for the Digisuite. They use the same wrapper. The DigisuiteLE differs in that its the only one of the bunch that uses MJPEG, and that's the only one I really need.

Unfortunately, Matrox bundles all the codecs together in one installer, and you can't select which ones you want when it installs. You get the entire set.

I'll contact Matrox to see what they have to say.