PDA

View Full Version : Animating a "pulse wave" inside a "hose" ?

Turner
02-23-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi again,

Being relatively new to this I'm wondering how the heck to do this...

Essentially I'd like to animate something that looks like little "rings" of energy that shoot along a path shaped like a coiled-up garden hose or something... imagine, I guess, rolling energized marbles through the hose (ok, hula hoops on their side.. not rolling... ), and being able to see... oh, it's probably easier for me to just show an illustration -

http://www.turnerdesign.net/pulse/pulse.jpg

I'd like to be able to show the hoops outside as well as inside; they're "energy-type-things" and in the second example (inside) would possibly need to be composited, but will need to be obscured by solid objects in the scene other than the "tube"...

thx
Andrew

SplineGod
02-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Make a ring object for the outside. Use that same object as a reference for a gradient texture on the tube to create the innter ring. You could use it in the color, diffuse or luminosity channels.

Turner
02-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Hi Larry,

Thanks so much for your reply. I should specify I'm not trying to do both at the same time, thought that is an interesting thought...

Anyway, I'm not sure how to go about using the ring as a reference for a gradient texture... there need to be -many- rings shooting through the thing - I'm hoping to find a way to send maybe 300 of them "through the tube" -

thx
Andrew

Make a ring object for the outside. Use that same object as a reference for a gradient texture on the tube to create the innter ring. You could use it in the color, diffuse or luminosity channels.

prospector
02-23-2005, 02:18 PM
I think there was a scene in previous LWs where a ball was put thru a hose and the new one is a ball being shot out of somethings nose in the scene file.

I would imagine that you are looking for the same thing only many of them?

Which brings me to the probable answer and Larry (spline god) did it on one of the tuts in the 3rd Party CD that comes with LW. The traffic one.

I haven't played with it (I just finally looked at that last CD today :) )
but if the secondary cars are real geometry, they should deform whatever they run thru.
just substatute your objects for the cars.