PDA

View Full Version : really daft question

matd
02-23-2005, 09:59 AM
I can't find any mention of this in my manual so perhaps someone can explain...

In layout 7.5(d), in the Items tab>Add>Objects there is the command "Add Partigon". When I select it, it prompts me to choose a save location. I type in a name, it saves the partigon to the location and places it on the stage. But then what use does it have? It doesn't render (even with full luminosity and glow added to the default Partigon surface), it doesn't do anything! What is the command useful for?

gjjackson
02-23-2005, 10:06 AM
You have to apply some type of surface to them in order for them to be visible in render.

matd
02-23-2005, 10:15 AM
I did add a surface - when the partigon is placed in layout, the default surface name is "Partigons". No matter how this is surfaced it will not appear. I just wondered what the point was of creating a single 1-point polygon in layout.

UnCommonGrafx
02-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Actually, partigons are quite useful. And if you are rendering ONE partigon on the stage, I bet it is rendering. :D

Apply a particlefx to it then render. The value comes for things like sparks, or the like, when hvs are just too time consuming.

I am of the opinion that our uses of this partigon type is severely limited. For example, and I beg to be corrected, you can't have another object emit these partigons; you have to move to hvs for a solution.

matd
02-23-2005, 10:54 AM
I think I'm probably not making myself clear! :)

I realise that partigon emitters are very useful, especially if you don't need the render hit of HVs (for sparks etc where a HV would be overkill). I've been using partigons this week to make some sparks and they render nice and quickly.

My question was this...in the Add drop down, along with add lights, add object add camera etc, in the Objects section, the submenu shows the following:

Load Object...
Load Object Layer...

Add Null...
Add Partigon...

If I select Add Partigon, that's when it saves a one-point polygon to my hard drive, then places it in layout.

My points are:
why would LW bother saving a partigon to my harddrive?
why would I want to place a single 1 point poly in layout, as opposed to generating them via a Partigon Emitter or making a 1-point poly in Modeler!? Is this LW 7's "eagle in a barrel"?

UnCommonGrafx
02-23-2005, 12:57 PM
I would use that one thing for the tip of something that I wanted blurred in a scene, to leave a trail, of sorts.

Surely the question is: Why would a USER do this without reason? chuckle It's not NewTek's responsibility to give the user impetus for any tools usage so why expect one on this one?

I honestly thinks it's for those moments when you need one and don't want to go to modeler to create it.

prospector
02-23-2005, 02:08 PM
And what preytell is wrong with 'eagle-in-a-barrel'?

I have to go back to my old CD and reload it whenever I reload LW.

It's like a well worn security blanket all snuggled in its little folder in modeler objects.

I might never use it but I KNOW it's there if I do. :D