PDA

View Full Version : Need a 3d job? Need a cg artist? Join here free!

99sproth
02-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Hi

If your on the cgtalk forums you probably already know what this is about. I was complaining about the lack of decent free centralised international job sites on the net.

Well I pulled my thumb out and made it. I thought this needed a new thread as its a finnished 1.0 release now.

http://jobs.machinestudios.co.uk/

Sign up if you an artist looking for work, fulltime or freelance. Also if your an employer please post any jobs you have on the job boards. I need to start getting a steady flow of users to get this site off the ground.

Also if anyone has ideas for what the site needs then I would be happy to put them in. I also need people to help me launch a media blitz, to try and get lots of studios using my service.

Mods: please dont delete this, I know its kind of advertising, but I'm just trying to do my bit for the LW community!

Cheers

Simon

kopperdrake
02-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi :)

I've just signed up, but then wondered about why other design studios would really want to sign up with another design studio whose prices seem to undercut anything else out there? Are your prices for real? Do you really charge 40 for a low poly character? Seems at least 400-500 too cheap if it's a bespoke character?

99sproth
02-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Well I go on the basis of 40 an hour. It is a little cheap, I've been meaning to increase those prices. Thats without textures or anything else, though.

How much do you think should I be charging an hour?

Thanks for signing up, I hope you get lots of work through the site!

Update. :Prices have gone up: thanks for the reminder.

kopperdrake
02-26-2005, 09:19 AM
It's not so much the 40 an hour that's the problem, though larger studios typically charge their 3D guys out at 500 a day. It's more that an hour to build a low poly character is extremely quick. I character modelled in the games industry, my better half's a project manager in the same industry, and typically you get a week to model, texture and rig a character. Rigging's a day, which leaves you with 4 days to model and texture. Just to model one should be costing around the 500, depending on its detail of course. We're talking 1000 poly console characters here, MPC types. If you're looking at main player characters then they can just go on and on and on :)

Dunk

99sproth
02-26-2005, 09:29 AM
I can see what you mean. That quotes more along the lines of a 400-500 poly character with no rigging and texturing, just plain geometry.

Even then I was undercutting too much. I just hadnt updated the site since we were hard up for work last year.

Simon