PDA

View Full Version : Help with Model for Animation

mamurphy
02-22-2005, 09:29 PM
The short story is that I am learning animation and understand that bones and subpatches work nicely together.

Now, I am trying to animate a logo with large areas of flat polys. I want the logo to flip and twist and spin because this will be part of a cartoon block station ID. Do I need to model the large flat polys as subpatches?

If so, what would be the best technique to achieve the hard edges while giving me the ability to distort the model without tearing?

I'll post a pic of the model/logo. I appreciate any suggestions or help.

flakester
02-23-2005, 08:34 AM
Howdy Mamurphy.

If you are after what I think you might be after, I have a suggestion. I'm not massively experienced in LightWave, so it may not be the solution you opt for, or even a usable one!! :p But anyhoo, here goes:

Under the <Multiply> tab, click on <Subdivide>, leave it on "Faceted" and a fractal of 0.0% (should be the default).
You may need to do this more than once to sub the geometry to a desired level but it will keep your hard edges for you.

OR:

1). Have the layer that your logo is on as a foreground layer.
2). Under the <multiply> tab, go down to the <more> pulldown in the <Subdivide> section.
3). Select <Julienne>.
4). Choose the axis to add segments on, and the number of segments you want.

You may have to do this twice more in the other axis depending on how much detail you want.

I'd go for option 1 personally, it'll leave close to no clearing up to do.

Hope this helps, it'd be good to see how this turns out.

flakester.

mamurphy
02-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Thnx. I'll give it a go and see what the results are :)