PDA

View Full Version : Advice Wanted: Textured Curtains & Window Views

Dahfish
02-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Hi there :)

I have 3 main questions all relating to architectural rendering and building / room walkthroughs that I was hoping you could shed some light on (pun not intended, urrr either of them *sighs*)

1) I'm after some advice on modelling some curtains, and I don't mean prancing around wearing them. I've looked over some of the tutorials on offer and they are very straight forward.

My problem is that I'd like to find out how to texture map the curtains first with a design / pattern. Thinking about it this would apply with any cloth like material, flags, table cloths, duvets etc.

I would find it difficult to UV map a crumpled material. Is there a way to pre-map it as flat polys and then deform it? if so how is this done?

I've heard of Motion Designer from the flag tutorial on this site, but where do you draw the line between statically modelled objects and the need or benefit of this?

Morph Maps, endomorphs, Normal Maps (like Doom3), Displacement Maps? These are all just terms that sound as though they might do a similar job, but again I don't know how they work or when best to apply them.

2) Net Curtains: Would you either create the shape and then set some transparency / translucency or would you again texture map the pattern with the inverse in the transparency channel? Any tips to create this look?

3) My final question is how would you go about creating suitable background scenery viewed through a window from inside a created scene? For single renders I can see a few solutions such as placing a photo on a large poly outside the window, however what would you do about an animation where the view would be seen from various angles in a walkthrough of a building / room? I've seen an effective look using an almost blindingly bright sunlight through the window, it maybe an area light or luminous poly so there is nothing to focus on outside.

Thank you for taking the time to look over this for me :)

Cheers

Dah.

kopperdrake
02-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi there :)

I have 3 main questions all relating to architectural rendering and building / room walkthroughs that I was hoping you could shed some light on (pun not intended, urrr either of them *sighs*)

1) I'm after some advice on modelling some curtains, and I don't mean prancing around wearing them. I've looked over some of the tutorials on offer and they are very straight forward.

My problem is that I'd like to find out how to texture map the curtains first with a design / pattern. Thinking about it this would apply with any cloth like material, flags, table cloths, duvets etc.

I would find it difficult to UV map a crumpled material. Is there a way to pre-map it as flat polys and then deform it? if so how is this done?

I've heard of Motion Designer from the flag tutorial on this site, but where do you draw the line between statically modelled objects and the need or benefit of this?

Morph Maps, endomorphs, Normal Maps (like Doom3), Displacement Maps? These are all just terms that sound as though they might do a similar job, but again I don't know how they work or when best to apply them.

2) Net Curtains: Would you either create the shape and then set some transparency / translucency or would you again texture map the pattern with the inverse in the transparency channel? Any tips to create this look?

3) My final question is how would you go about creating suitable background scenery viewed through a window from inside a created scene? For single renders I can see a few solutions such as placing a photo on a large poly outside the window, however what would you do about an animation where the view would be seen from various angles in a walkthrough of a building / room? I've seen an effective look using an almost blindingly bright sunlight through the window, it maybe an area light or luminous poly so there is nothing to focus on outside.

Thank you for taking the time to look over this for me :)

Cheers

Dah.

Should've stuck this in the arch viz section ;)

1) Map your cloth as a flat piece of cloth using UV mapping. Then when you start distorting it all of the pieces are already textured - unless you're going to deform it drastically then it should look ok :) Personally I'd texture a flat piece of cloth, take it through to Layout and apply a procedural displacement map, then save out the transformed object so it keeps its deformation in its raw state. That way you won't have the PC having to work out the deformation for every curtain, it's built in to the model :)

2) Net curtains, same as above, apply texture first, then deform, save deformed version, use that in scene. Stick a black and white texture in the transparency channel of the texture for the netting texture.

3) The technique you refer to does indeed use an area light larger than the window you are viewing it through :) Alternatively, grab a 360 panoramic image by buying it, searching for it, or building it by stitching photos together. Wrap this to a cylinder and place this in your scene. If it's large enough and the camera doesn't stray too far from the world centre then you'll convince the viewer that there's a world out there :) That's how sky domes work :)