PDA

View Full Version : Color Gradient Problem

bcicio
02-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi guys,
I seem to be having a really lame problem trying to create a color gradient from top to bottom across a simple rectangular polygon. Iím fairly new to LW but have applied color gradients to trails of hypervoxels without any problem Ė so I think I generally understand the concept. In this case, created my vertical polygon and established the pivot point at the midpoint of the bottom edge. I then named the surface and, using surface editor, applied a color gradient to the surface and set the input parameter to be Y-Distance to Pivot Point. Doesnít work. I just get a solid color poly Ė a color at one end of the gradient scale. I have been careful to set the end value of the gradient to the length of the polygon, but this has not helped, nor has adjusting each of the scaling values (unless I just havenít adjusted them far enough). Adjusting them will change he shade, so I know it is having some affect. But I have even tested a polygon that is 1m high in order match the default gradient length of 1m on the gradient scale as a test. Nothing. Been trying to figure this out for days. I even tried it with a weight map with the same result. Any idea why the scaling of my gradient would be off? Iím really feeliní stupid. :confused:

Thanks.

pdrake
02-22-2005, 05:42 PM
this tutorial will answer all your questions.

http://www.human2.com/perry/Grad1_Intro_PrevLayer.mov

i'm pretty sure i got it from proton, but i searched and couldn't find it anywhere. if anyone knows where this comes from let me know. i'll leave it on my server for a few hours. after that, please contact me if you want it.

thanks.

bcicio
02-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks. I had watched that video awhile back, but it was good to review it again. I just don't know why my Y Distance to Pivot Point parameter doesn't seem to work correctly, but there are a number of ways I can accomplish the look I need so I'll go in a different direction. I re-tried a weight map and got it to work a little better this time. Thanks again.

mrunion
02-22-2005, 06:44 PM
I believe the tutorial comes from Lee Stranahan.

toby
02-22-2005, 08:25 PM
The gradient doesn't use world coordinates, so if you have rotated the polygon in Layout expecting the gradient to show up, that won't work - I think the same is true of the pivot point, moving it in layout won't change the gradient.

It should work if you have the polygon above ground and vertical in Modeler, but it can be a pain to get the distance right, it doesn't always make sense. Weight maps are the way to go.

wacom
02-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Or you could always parent a null to the object and then use distance to object (the object being the null).

To be honest Fprime has made using gradients WAY more understandable for me...but not everyone is born with half of a spider monkey brain...