PDA

View Full Version : 30 Mile Point Lighthouse...

johnbeam
02-22-2005, 02:25 PM
30 Mile Point Lighthouse...

I rendered this with background radiosity with an area light for the sun and some spots for fill..... I think it still looks a little dark but kinda matches the cloudy sky. I based this upon reference photos on the internet but changed the top from red to a old copper texture.... Comments welcome... !

Here's a link to some reference for the house... I like that snow one! I'd like to do a night shot if I ever get some more time !

http://www.lockport-ny.com/Pictures/n8.htm

Thanks!

gjjackson
02-22-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm not a good critic but I'd say it looks excellent. I really can't see any problem with it.

Are you going to do one with the snow.

Seademon
02-22-2005, 05:51 PM
looks very nice indeed, my only crit would be that it doesnt look like a windy day, ie flags should be hanging low rather than stretched out.

dxyner
02-22-2005, 10:49 PM
The wind is a good point I missed looking at it the first time. Either take the wind out od the flags or add it to the trees. Your modeling and texturing are first class and you did a very nice job of matching perspective and lighting to your background. The only thing I'd suggest it either adding a very light fog to represent atmosphere/moisture in the air (thereby taking the crisp CG look out of the building) or else take the render into photoshop and grain it up and desaturate it slightly to match the background plate a little more. The model and texture are quite great though!

DeathsHead
02-22-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm by no means a critic but if your intention was authenticity then you might want to take another look at the towers top a bit closer. Aside from your change of the "Red for Copper" look, you've seemed to have changed the overall shape of the dome itself, somewhat drastically for its actual shape. But the thing I noticed the most was that you've seemed to have extended the upper platform that goes around the glass section of the dome itself... In its original state there appears to be only a 12" overhang, "at most". Yours seems to extend almost 2+ feet... Other than that I think it looks cool.

And I especially liked the painting of the Lighthouse in winter.

Death'

:cool:

johnbeam
02-23-2005, 06:25 AM
Yea I didn't really start with the intention to be 100% accurate and I based the top of the lighthouse on this photo of another lighthouse....but as I got further into it I got more detailed and tried to match the 30 Mile House....

http://www.montereyconventionauthority.com/html_pages/images_monterey/dir_buildings/images/Lighthouse-bluesky_jpg.jpg

I'm not sure about the wind? How do I add wind to the trees? Bend them over more? I think you are right about the flag though and I might make it a little less "blown in the wind"......

I do have bit of fog in the background but it doesn't make it all the way to the front of the scene... I might try and adjust this too next time I render it...

Thanks again for all comments.. still looking to improve....

ravantra
02-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Very good render....Only thing I would do is take the flags out, they look kind of pasted on.

badpineapple
02-23-2005, 10:27 AM
The only thing that would indiicate a windy or calm day would be the flags, so those comments are kind of moot. Besides, you chose a background photo with sailboats. A clear day breezy enough for sailing would be pretty fog-free, especially in the early afternoon. My questioning eye was drawn to the shadows of foreground trees that arenít there. Other than that, I think itís virtually flawless. But what do I know?

johnbeam
02-23-2005, 11:23 AM
I wanted to get some contrast on the roof with some shadows so I put a shadow making poly hidden just off screen.... I might need to add some trees to make it look right... I'll try that...

So far,
I need to rescale the benches.
Take a look at removing the flag.
Check the horizon / level of the water
Make the boat smaller
Maybe add some fog or saturation or noise to it...
Add trees or change shadows on the roof...
and if I want it to be accurate I should remodel the top
of the lighthouse....

Bigboy
02-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Nice render.

Id say the Shadows were "odd", since there appears to be an invisible tree casting a shadow over the house. The lighting is comming almost vertically downwards, which would mean you need a tree overhanging the house. However, the one at the back is quite a bit behind the house, so theres nothing casting that shadow.

The brick work is a bit too "shiny"... looks a little out of place in the world... Might be to do with the lack of "dirt and grime" etc....

But a real nice image...

BBS-TV 21
02-25-2005, 06:48 AM
Looks Great! The flags look odd though.

johnbeam
02-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Got rid of the flags and small tables. made them bigger and tweaked the boat a little....

ravantra
02-28-2005, 07:59 AM
Outstanding.......Much better without the flags, I also like this angle better.

Marek_O
03-03-2005, 04:24 AM
This is a great piece of work. The POV is much better and the flags no longer detract from the image.

shaol
03-03-2005, 07:40 AM
the only problem i have is the shadow of the tree on the roof where's the tree causing the shadow when the light comes from the from.

mav3rick
03-04-2005, 02:11 AM
roxx without flag