PDA

View Full Version : Pipari's hair shader

Thomas M.
02-22-2005, 03:45 AM
I love what I see in the test scene supplied with the plug-in. These specular highlights rock. I wonder why NT didn't enhance the surfacing panel in the last update. I guess it's time to have some options like specular contrast, multilayered specular highlights and so on without implementing all this stuff with 3rd party plug ins.

But the reason why I need help is the following. I already posted it some time ago, but unfortunately didn't get any reply which helped yet. I need to surface a horse. The tricky part are the specular highlights which follow the direction of the hair. So the regular spec highlight or a velvet shader won't do the trick. The only options I can think of are UV maps or morph targets. If the hair streaks would follow e.g. the U or V coordinate, then you could twist and deform the UV's as long as the streaks on the object itself would follow the direction of the hairs like on a real horse. The same could be done in a similar way with a twisted and deformed morph target or morph master.

Unfortunately Pipari's great plug-in didn't work with the morph target nor with UV's. Did I miss something or is it simply not possible? The BDRF shader does have the UV option for anisotr..bla.bla highlights. The wired thing is that VIPER shows you some nice results, but the final render is pretty ugly, as it seems that LW or the shader don't interpolate the direction of the streaks ON each polygon, but only between them. This looks pretty ugly as you can see each polygon (even in SUBD mode) as it got it's own shine.

My results with Sasquatch are quite o.k., but as my job doesn't leave me with any time for finetuning and rendering Sas hair I won't be able to use it for the desired effect.

Could please somebody help me out with this problem? It's very urgent

Thanks guy and girls
Pancho

flakester
02-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Howdy Thomas.

The only thing I can think of which might (m-i-g-h-t) help is a plugin called pg_Karinoyo. I found it after my brdf shader packed it's bags and buggered off.

You should be able to find it through www.flay.com

I'm fairly new to LW so I'm sorry if my suggestion is of no use fella.

good luck.

flakester.

Bliz
02-24-2005, 07:27 AM
What and where is this [new?] hair plugin?

I couldn't find it on flay.com(?)

Sounds interesting....

Exper
02-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Are you talking about pipari's one?

Take a look here:
A simple hair shader
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=180024
and
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=29558 for the direct link to Ambient plugin. ;)

Bliz
02-24-2005, 07:59 AM
Yes I was.

Thanks, I'll check it out.