PDA

View Full Version : Layout crashes, not communicating with Modeler

stealthscott
02-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Layout has stopped communicating with Modeler. In order to see revisions I make in Modeler, I must re-open the scene in Layout.

Further and possibly related, every time I attempt to render a frame, Layout crashes. I have somehow found that if I choose Save All Objects and make sure that the main Layout window is active before rendering a frame, i seem to avoid crashing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

mrunion
02-22-2005, 08:09 AM
First, is the HUB running? Secondly, if it is, have you installed any new firewall/virus software that may be blocking the hub?

If the HUB is running and is not blocked by other software, you should be able to start both modeller and layout (leave them running at the same time) and the HUB will pick up on where they are and then allow switching/communicating between them.

On the rendering/crash problem I have no clue.

stealthscott
02-22-2005, 12:04 PM
yes, the hub starts up anytime i open either Layout or Modeler.

i used to use the hub to open both applications but now that i'm having this problem, i don't start from the hub ... but it's always running.

thanks.

btw, i'm on a mac if that makes a difference.

toby
02-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Unfortunately you can't always have the Hub and stability at the same time. I think this is one thing that the PC version does better, but it still decreases stability - we don't use it at all where I work.

Working without the Hub is a different workflow, but it has it's advantages, you just have to get friendly with the 'replace with object file' command, and hot-key it. And don't forget that the last two Star Wars movies were made with a program that doesn't even have a hub or a built-in modeler. This really sucks for character work, I know.

stealthscott
02-24-2005, 12:53 PM
hmmm, how do you disable the hub? my hub is always running even though it's not making the 2 applications communicate.

thanks.

toby
02-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Easiest way is to pull the Hub app out of the Programs folder.

stealthscott
02-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Easiest way is to pull the Hub app out of the Programs folder.

Thanks!

Scott