PDA

View Full Version : Stone House

otacon
02-21-2005, 10:06 PM
I needed to do another exterior, so i put this together. The idea started from a black and white photo i saw, and then i just went from there. Rendered with fprime, monte carlo 2 bounce (bake overnight), the grass is sasquatch, and i did some post work in paint shop pro. Some people have told me the grass doesnt fit, it should be dirt on the ground....i think it adds some good color to the scene, balancing out with the green tree in the back, so i kept it in. Comments welcome. :)

Kuzey
02-22-2005, 04:32 AM
Mmmmm.....it seems huge for a house, wonderful work!!!

As for the grass, you could do a mixture of grass and dirt, so it looks well walked on??

Kuzey

Captain Obvious
02-22-2005, 04:34 AM
The grass looks a lot better than dirt would, but Kuzey has a point. I love it. It has a very nice feel to it.

adrian
02-22-2005, 05:44 AM
I have to agree with the above sentiments, the rest of the picture is *much* better than the grass. It (the grass) looks very uniform and fake right now whereas the building is wonderful. Play around with your Sas settings.
Adrian.

j0SH
02-22-2005, 05:47 AM
I think the grass is fine. Most buildings like that have the grass very well looked after. Nice building.

Good job

johnbeam
02-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Man the lighting on this looks great ! Texturing of walls is awesome... are those image mapped or procedural? Sasquatch does good job with grass although it does look like they have really good lawn keeper !

Captain Obvious
02-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Sasquatch does good job with grass although it does look like they have really good lawn keeper !
Something I think looks appropriate for a house like that. :p

otacon
02-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Thanks. I might do a couple more passes with sasquatch and see if i can get the grass to look less perfect.

doimus
02-23-2005, 12:33 AM
I too generally dislike sas-grass (cool rhyme) as it always looks like fake grass carpet! :D

But, the texture on the building and lighting in general are PERFECT!

It would be nice if you put the house in "broader" composition, so it's architecture could be fully observed.

Thomas M.
02-23-2005, 03:21 AM
With a nice lighting and the right settings Sasquatch grass can look superreal. The point is most people just go for the standard settings and don't bring in enough randomness. Grass often looks like a plastic grass carpet in 3d, but I can assure you there are ways to do "real" grass in Sasquatch (I'm not talking about the Lite version).

As far as the building is concerned. Thumbs up. Only "mistake" is the repeating pattern in the structure abover the arcs (big ones). Superb lighting!

Cheers
Thomas

johnbeam
02-23-2005, 06:31 AM
Man thomas maybe you could give us some pointers on Sas-Grass settings...
I'd love to get more of a random feel in my Sas-Grass but there's so many settings....