PDA

View Full Version : Saturation at 0.0 still bleeds color

Ivan
02-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Capturing stills with a camera via Y/C, set Saturation in Switcher Proc Amp to 0.0 and the image still has color.

What's up?

Ivan

Ivan
02-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Any ideas at all? Anyone else seeing this on their system? The above image is an example of what I see when I set the Proc Amp Saturation to 0. I know that it is affecting the correct input because the image does desaturate. Is this an issue with everyones card or just mine? Should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks,

Ivan

Bobt
02-22-2005, 04:49 AM
Ivan,
Its software not the card. Why is it not black and white?
Looks like a bug of sorts.

Bob

radams
02-22-2005, 06:36 AM
Well Bob and Ivan,

I don't have this issues with the switchers Proc Amp or with using TED's CC...
Check out the attached image...

Can you load in the original pic...I would like to see if it is a CMYK image...
Also Note I am using VT4 software and VT3 hardware in PAL mode...

Please drop me you specs and info...BTW so you see it on the desktop Tvision or just on the VT output to your monitor or VTR...

Cheers,

Ivan
02-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Hi Ray,

I am using VT3 hardware and VT4 software, NTSC.

Like you I have no trouble when I drop the image into VTEdit. This is a Capture problem. Coming in Y/C drop the Saturation to Zero in the Switcher and you get the image I posted. If I do what you posted I get the results that you did. My example is a Live input from a Sony VX2000 so there is no format and it is not CMYK, it is a Live Y/C input. The image below is after right clicking and selecting "Recall Factory Defaults" and setting the Saturation to 0.0. Note that I am using the Proc Amp on the Switcher, I do have the Y/C input mappedt to the Proc Amp and though desaturated the image still has color, unlike your example which shows what I would expect from this.

Ivan

Ivan
02-22-2005, 07:49 AM
I just did a test and when using the Background Generator I can set Saturation to 0.0 when running it through the switcher and I get no color at all. If I play VTEdit through the switcher and set Saturation to 0.0 the image also appears completely desaturated. If I input Composite I get the same results as Y/C where there is still color.

It appears to be a problem with video input from an external source and since it happens on both the YC and Composite channels I would say that it rules out a cabling problem.

Since it Desaturates any computer source it rules out a software problem which leaves a hardware problem, wouldn't you agree?

Now I need to know is it just me or is it everyone? If it's just me I can send in the card. If everyone has this why bother.

Ivan

radams
02-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Are you using a SX-8?

If so try going directly into the VT and do the same tests...

This still could be a software issue with Calibration being off...
I would call NT tech support...if it is the hardware then you'll need an RMA anyway ;)

Cheers,

Ray Adams

Ivan
02-22-2005, 08:26 AM
No SX8 on this machine. I tried the "Auto Calibrate" button and still get these results. I think you're right, I'll have to call Newtek but hopefully I can get done with some stuff first and call in March.

Ivan

Jim Capillo
02-22-2005, 09:32 AM
No SX8 on this machine. I tried the "Auto Calibrate" button and still get these results. I think you're right, I'll have to call Newtek but hopefully I can get done with some stuff first and call in March.

Ivan

Ivan,

Don't bother calling..... I have it here, too. Reds and blues show thru the most, but it's definitely not without chroma. I played with the YUV controls and got it in the b/w ballpark (by eye) within about 30 seconds - so it can be remedied until Newtek fixes it.

Do you want the honor of bugging it ?

Ivan
02-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Since I have the image, I'll email them. Thanks for verifying that it's not just me. Strange that it is only external sources and not anything computer generated.

Ivan

Scott Bates
02-22-2005, 11:13 AM
FWIW, you seem to be on to a bug Ivan, add me to the "getting the same non-saturated results here" club (VT[4], SP1, Y/C source).