PDA

View Full Version : home network security options

kevin3d
04-17-2003, 01:02 PM
Hi folks,

I'd like some recommendations regarding security software for a home network using a router to connect multiple PCs to internet.

I'll probably get a Linksys 4-port router with wireless & I understand it comes with some FIREWALL software. My impression is that this means the software actually runs on a router, and therefore does not eat computer resources. Is this correct?

Also, I need something to scan emails and downloads. I currently use macafee but it seems to eat up resources, especially on slower systems. Is there a nice free/cheap, lean-and-mean virus protection software?

For kids systems I'll probably use Netnanny.

All insights are appreciated.

mattclary
04-17-2003, 01:13 PM
Here is what you need to know. At least SOME of what you need to know.

http://arstechnica.com/paedia/w/wireless-security-howto/home-802.11b-1.html

kevman3d
04-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Hi Kev...

AVG (www.grisoft.com) has a FREE home edition of their cool virus scanner, and its pretty good - scans all incoming and outgoing mail, has online updates, etc.

There are also plenty of SOHO Firewall tools around too - eg. BlackIce Defender, etc. All cheap (or free), and all do a good enough job for most home offices. Just check out www.tucows.com for all your internet software needs in this area, or do a google search and you should find plenty of them.

Cheers!

Kev

kevin3d
04-18-2003, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys!