PDA

View Full Version : Help with IK, bones and Objects

gordonrobb
02-21-2005, 10:26 AM
I am modelling a robot, and have decided that I will use IK for seperate objects. However, there are parts of the thing that would be easier to use bones on a single object (abdomin, hands etc). Can anyone tell me if I can have obejcts and bones in the same IK hierarchy, before I commit myself to some of the modelling?

Ta!

tudor
02-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Bones cannot be parented to any other object than its 'owner' . This makes it difficult to have bones and objects in a chain. Objects can be parented to bones though so..
The easiest way to do it imho would be to set up a bone structure for the entire robot, and then parent the different parts to that skeleton. If you want you can have parts of it deform with bones aswell.

I am modelling a robot, and have decided that I will use IK for seperate objects. However, there are parts of the thing that would be easier to use bones on a single object (abdomin, hands etc). Can anyone tell me if I can have obejcts and bones in the same IK hierarchy, before I commit myself to some of the modelling?

Ta!

gordonrobb
02-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Tudor

Can I just test my understanding of what you mean. I would have a complete IK bone structure for the whole robot. Some bones would just move objects (1 bone for the whole object) and some could deform objects (multiple bones for that object).

I this is what you mean, it's brilliant, and would give me exactly what I want.

tudor
02-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Yep. Thats it.
in the object that has bones you place the parts you want deformed by bones.
The other parts of the robot you just parent to the bones.
The bone rig is used for all animation.