PDA

View Full Version : Pig

StereoMike
02-21-2005, 05:10 AM
Hi there,
I just finished this little fun animation..
I got the idea for this as I modeled this pig for the 400 points challenge over at spinquad.
The pig reminds me of somewhat. ..or was it someone? It looks so familiar though I hadn't a reference for it. But maybe every pig with less than 400 pts look like mine... you know: less points and less things that can go wrong - and reducing the points is the search for the genuine form or at least the one most people would identify as pig or whatever you're for. so ervery streamlined pig heads for a genuine achetype.
Making cars maximum aerodynamical would result in every car looking like a drop.

Errr... seems I'm hijacking my own thread...
Back on topic:
Piggy animation 5.3 mb (http://www.siegfeld.com/dl/pigsnd.avi)

http://www.siegfeld.com/dl/piggy.jpg

lesterfoster
03-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Nice animation. How long did it take you to do this project

aforetaste
03-18-2005, 07:28 AM
StereoMike,

Great animation! I really like your pig... and only 400 points--wow.

How do you do the grass? In lightwave? How do you animate it?

red_eyes23
03-20-2005, 04:40 AM
I like it very much :D

lasco
03-27-2005, 06:55 AM
:(
impossible to view it with quicktime 6
on Mac OS X.
Any chances you post a link to a .mov version ?

StereoMike
03-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Sorry, for forgetting this thread, after several weeks I thought nobody would reply, so I missed to check for new entries.... ;)

to answer all questions I uploaded the scenefile with all the objects :D
You can try everything for yourself now.
I used a lot of hairguides to get saslight the gras done.
Due to limitations of saslight, I had to use a layer of static grass and a layer of dynamically transformed grass.

So the scene consists of a >400p pig, a nearly 400p flower, an under 400p terrain and thousands of 2pointpolys for the guides.
It rendered in 2.5 days on a P4 (3gHz).

Thanx for the comments :)

Darrell
03-27-2005, 08:53 PM
:(
impossible to view it with quicktime 6
on Mac OS X.
Any chances you post a link to a .mov version ?

i don't care what he makes it in...i'm on a PC & i still can't view it...thats why i never like avi files...quicktime works lol

StereoMike
03-28-2005, 01:53 AM
hmm, it's the MS-mpeg4 v2 codec, most windows machines should handle it.
About .mov: I'll give it a try.

lasco
03-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Generally the best is to always upload
2 versions of movies :
- one with the CODEC you prefer (newest with high performances)
- one with "old" CODECS (Sorenson 3 in QuickTime for example)
just to be sure every people can read the movie…

lardbros
03-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread and talk about Quicktime, but i'm having problems with my Quicktime player... a couple actually.

Problem 1) Sometimes, and completely random, the screen just goes green. I then have to shut it, open it, see if it works, if not close it and try again. But WHY THE HELL DOES IT DO THIS? By the way, it's only the quicktime movie player screen, not my monitor.

Problem 2) Not so much a problem, but it's still annoying. When my external zip drive is plugged in, and got a disc hanging out of it, as opposed to inserted, and i open up a Quicktime file i get an error thing saying something like hard disk is not readable (can't really remember) and asks me to continue, try again, or cancel. Why the hell does it do this aswell?? If i hit continue LOADS of times it's fine, BUT if i just push the zip disc in, it works fine and dandy!

Thanks guys and gals!

StereoMike
03-30-2005, 04:49 AM
Piggy Quicktime (http://www.siegfeld.com/dl/pigmov.mov)

sorensen 3 codec :)

it's just a little 300 point pig running down a hill.

I don't have a clue, what there's going on on your computer. seems very specific for me...
sorry, I couln't help.

lardbros
03-30-2005, 05:54 AM
Had a look at your piggy when he was over at spinquad... very nice indeed. Amazing how you can get so much character with so few points. Also was very impressed with the grass dynamics! Brilliant.

paulmcg1
03-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Well seeing as no one has given a critique to this, I will :p .

I do like the idea of this. But the animation dosn't seem to look as good. It looks as if the pig is "stiff" you should try showing more weight & anticipation. Pig looks great, and so does the flower and the grass. :rolleyes:

Paul

StereoMike
03-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Oh, this little animation is just a "fall out" to the 400 point challenge at spinquad. you had to make something with less than 400 points (just a .lwo to send in), but I felt I had to give some life to this piggy. So I put the scene together on an afternoon and rendered it in 2.5 days just for fun (quick and dirty).
Perhaps one day I might spend more time on this and .... nah, I don't think so. I leave it like that ... low poly model - low effort animation ;)

And check the challenges folder over at Spinquad.com, there are a lot of very nice "<400 point" models!

14 and famous
04-14-2005, 10:14 AM
the coolest pig on the planet :cool: