PDA

View Full Version : iBook Performance

MatthewS
02-21-2005, 05:10 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could comment on LW performance on a new iBook? Its a combination that I am considering, and I am mostly concerned about the performance of Modeler, as I predominantly design characters. If anyone has tried out this combo I would very much appreciate your input.

Thanks!
MatthewS

Jirapong
02-21-2005, 08:25 AM
I use LW in my Powerbook 800 MHz 1GB of RAM, 32 MB Radeon 7500. It works fine. Sure modeller is quite slow when you have a lot polygons, more than 40000-50000.
I got PC 3.0 GHz 2.5 RAM with 128 MB FireGL T2. It looks better at smaller model but at the same numbers of polygons, it start showing that same slow.

I think it enough if LW is hobby for you, or you only need it on vacation not and work horse. (because working on laptop is really not productive as destop. Thinnking of function keys and numeric keys.)

Nakia
02-24-2005, 04:33 AM
Greetings,
I decided to get a iBook. I was leaning towards a PowerBook, I was going to sell all my Mac stuff (20inch monitor, Powermac G4, Powerbook G3 and a Powermac G3 I am waiting to get) with all my Mac Software (FCP3 and some other stuff) (except LW) just to buy a PowerBook 17inch. The final test for me was a powerbook G3 333Mhz 192meg RAM OS X 10.3 I bought a couple of months ago. Last week I decided to install LW 7.5d and plugged in my little purple dongle. It ran LW pretty OK. I was like wow. Its not better then my PowerMac G4 with Geforce 4MX. I also on a 2.4GHz XEON with a ATI 9600 XT 256mg Card that I use for stuff my G4 can't handle (mostly long renders being that I don't use the PC for anything else). So I figure hey I have a PC that runs LW 75d real good and Powermac G4 that handles LW also, I figure the iBook will be the best 2D and texturing machine and mobile portfolio and promo buddy.

Johnny
02-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Not the first time I've heard or experienced things like this. A friend went from a Pismo with 320 MB of RAM to a 1.2 GB Powerbook last year, and saw little, if any, speed boost.

I'm not an engineer, but I think those high-dollar Powerbooks are about what it takes to cram a computer into a thin, neat-looking case, as opposed to getting you a computer that cuts timber, the way a desktop machine does.

Those iBooks kick serious glutes, especially compared with their 2 and 3 times more expensive PB cousins...which aren't necessarily 2 and 3 times as capable.

J

Nakia
02-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Greetings,
I went to the Apple store today to show my wife want I wanted. I showed her the 17 inch Powerbook. Told her if my Mac stuff sales (I'm selling everything Mac I own on Craigslist) I will get the 17 powerbook. If I don't sell I will get a 14 inch iBook.
I notince both had Photoshop Elements 3 installed. I decided to conduct my own quick benchmark. Both 14inch iBook and 17 powerbook had 1gig of RAM. I fired up Photoshop Elements and both took the same time coming up. Being right across from each other gave a clear understanding that there is not much different between the the two geberal performance. I think both will do fine for Graphic design if the RAM is bumped up. I can only see getting the 17 inch Powerbook if I was into Music Industry (all the optical audi stuff) or was using Maya. I feel as though LW will run on both. So I think I will go for the 14 inch iBook even if I sell all My Mac stuff (except LW).
I ended up getting iWorks, pretty cool stuff.

Darrell
03-02-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm bias against using laptops for 3D modeling. Yeah I know they've come a long way & are much faster...but I rather do everything on a tower...now if you're just doing low polygon modeling, then I will run fine...you might as well get the latest powerbook, cause in a few months you'd probably get tired of the ibook lol