PDA

View Full Version : office

dilaima
02-20-2005, 05:28 PM
My latest, LW 8.0.1 native render, enhaced low, radiosity, 3 hours. (1920x1440)

adrian
02-21-2005, 01:11 AM
The lighting at the sides looks a little odd.... a radiosity artifact perhaps? It's almost as if the light is leaking....

The rest of the scene is fine IMO - is this based on a real apartment? If so, it has a nice view!

Adrian.

starbase1
02-21-2005, 04:47 AM
Great. That blotchy brown furniture surface looks very unusual. Not sure I like it - is it based on something real?

Nick

dilaima
02-21-2005, 04:51 AM
@ Starbase, yes this wood is light mahogony, very rich and expensive :)
@ Adrian, I too don't like the lighting, I feel it's unreal, I'm doing a new setup now, will post the update after rendering.

Cheers,

Starlost
02-21-2005, 06:58 AM
This image is superb the modeling is top notch. the marbley surfacing I am not 100% too sure about but hey thats just me. The lighting mostly is ok just a lil quirky here and there probably just needs a little fine tuning in the radiosity dept. If there were only the one chair then it would be facing the boss chair. With 2 chairs you should have them angled towards the boss chair in a typical office style layout such as this.. but hey thats just my take on furniture layout not modeling. The models look great.

Render On!

Starlost....

dilaima
02-22-2005, 07:58 AM
fprime render update.

Captain Obvious
02-22-2005, 08:29 AM
The Fprime-rendered one is much better. No more blotchy interpolation artifacts. When using interpolated in LW, you really should use motion blur! I find that it removes most of the artifacts.

Anyway... where the floor is lit by the lights in the roof, the light seems a bit too intense (you barely make out the light source, but the floor that's lit by it is almost white). Make sure to set the falloff to squared inverse distance for realism.

Other than that, very nice image!

Starlost
02-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Agreed the 2nd image does look much nicer ( though if it were an office that I worked in I would have an ashtray on the desk heheheh) The only thing that I can see holding this one back now from perfection would be the outside world. the brightness level in the first picture was very good, however the brighness level outside now make it look like some far off nuclear explosion is going on you cant see the sky or the clouds. Try darkening that image slightly and then it'll look more realistic overall..

Render On!

Starlost...

Captain Obvious
02-22-2005, 11:39 AM
I would adjust curves/levels in Photoshop on the FPrime version to bring out more details and decrease the brightness somewhat.

Captain Obvious
02-22-2005, 11:44 AM
After fiddling about a little, it seems that fixing the too bright sky is rather hard. In fact, it's so darn bright it's pretty much entirely 255/255/255. Making it darker simply makes it grey. You need to fix that inside Lightwave, or with a high dynamic range image, I suppose. Or maybe I just suck at Photoshop? :D

Starlost
02-22-2005, 01:05 PM
hmm I wonder if adjusting the window tinting would work add a mildly warm kelvin to it that may do the trick dunno never tried this idea before. Arrgh seems every time I come into one of these newsgroups I wind up wanting to try new things just when I start believing I've learned it all hehehehe....

Render On!

Starlost

dilaima
02-23-2005, 02:56 AM
Thanks for all your comments and help.
The error in the fprime version is the post work, it's a duplicated layer overlayed with screen mode and some blur effects as attempt to refine the fprime noise, but as you see it was not a solution, and by the way this fprime render tooked about 15 hours and wasn't fine and complete.
Now this final render is lightwave native with medium AA adaptive sampling 0.1, and some lighting tweek, it tooked less than anyonje done b4 (60 min) (1920x1440).
Hope that you like it.

Starlost
02-23-2005, 03:41 AM
This is the best version by far Kudos! ( still needs an ashtray heheh oh and a phone system. )

Render On!

Starlost....

Captain Obvious
02-23-2005, 05:08 AM
Much better! But if you have the time, you might want to make yet another render. There are still some very visible interpolation artifacts (the left chair looks a little blotchy, and there's a bluish blotch up in the far left corner). Try increasing the number of rays per evaluation a little bit (not a lot) and decreasing the tolerance a little, or add more motion blur passes.

The distortion in the window is a little heavy, in my opinion. It makes the glass look really thick.

Other than that, great! :D