PDA

View Full Version : Dongle / LW 8 Upgrade Questions

bobakabob
02-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Upgrading to LW 8 very soon from LW 7.5 and exchanging my parallel port dongle for a USB version in the process.

However, I need to keep LW7.5 running, as in the middle of work which is mercifully running very smoothly so can't afford any hiccups.

LW 7.5 will also need to access the new USB dongle as well as LW8. I've done a search on the forums, but need to clarify the following. Apologies if there's some repetition ("Here's another dreaded dongle post") or these seem like dumb questions :)

1. License Key: Will I need to copy and paste the new license key no. that comes with LW 8 into the 7.5 folder as well as LW 8?

2. USB Sentinel drivers: Are these automatically installed and do I have to delete the old parallel port drivers?

3. Config Files: Does LW 8 generate config files in a separate folder to LW 7.5?

Any advice on how to keep 7.5 running smoothly alongside 8 or good links to previous threads I may have missed, gratefully received.

Chuck and BeeVee, any chance you could do an FAQ on dongle issues / advice / troubleshooting on the Newtek site? Some users seem to have gone through occasional nightmare scenarios and I'm sure it would give many other users peace of mind. I saw this request before and thought it was a great idea especially for those Wavers with a tremulous disposition ;)

All the best,

Bob

BeeVee
02-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi Bob,

Two things - we'll need to have your old dongle back before you get a new one, the LightWave 8 license.key number is different to the 7 one, and a number for the USB key will be different to the 7 key anyway. Hang on, that's three things and I didn't even include the fact that LightWave 8 will work perfectly well with your parallel key anyway.

Anyway here are the answers to your specific questions... :)

1. As I said the LW8 license.key is a different number to the 7 key, but as nomal, you can have as many license.keys in one file as you like, so you could have them both in the same file. However, the fact that you'll install LightWave 8 in a separate directory to 7 means that you would have your two license.key files in separate places anyway... :)

2. You shouldn't have to reinstall the dongle drivers because, by default, both parallel and USB drivers are installed. If you've done a custom install, you might well need to redo your Sentinel drivers, but it's not a difficult process, just make sure you have no LightWave stuff running, and use the Add/Remove programs tool to uninstall the Sentinel drivers you have installed and reboot, then reinstall the ones that come with 8 or go get the newest from http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp

3. No it doesn't, but they are named differently (with an 8 instead of a 3 in the filename). However, LightWave can do config file redirection, which allows you to run as many different versions as you like, you merely need to make sure that the Hub is closed down between using different versions, otherwise it can get confused. Find out how to do redirection in the manual, it's not hard...

Hope that lot helps rather than hinders...

B

bobakabob
02-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Ben,

Thanks for the quick and informative response - really appreciated :)

What do you think to the idea of having an FAQ on the Newtek sites re dongle and upgrade issues/troubleshooting?

Cheers,

Bob

Kurtis
02-20-2005, 05:32 PM
What do you think to the idea of having an FAQ on the Newtek sites re dongle and upgrade issues/troubleshooting?
bobakabob,

See the sections Dongle/Hardware Lock and Product Lock ID/Permanent License Key on the following page:
http://www.newtek.com/support/tech/faqs/lw/index.html

:)

bobakabob
03-02-2005, 05:59 AM
Hi Ben and Kurtis,

Thanks again for the replies.

Does yesterday's Lightwave Additional Seat deal announcement apply to International customers? I would very much like to purchase an additional LW license along with the upgrade and I'm sure other UK wavers would too.

Cheers,

Rob

BeeVee
03-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Yes, it does. Stay tuned to our website for pricing information.

B