PDA

View Full Version : New GPU or new Mac???

pencilpusher
02-20-2005, 05:49 AM
I'm wondering whether it is worth it to upgrade my GPU. I have a 1.25 G4 (1.3 Gb ram) with a 32Mb GeForce2 MX card. Would a Radeon 9800 card make a big enough difference in performance to be worth the cost or should I just wait for another year and go for a top of the line Powermac?

Thanks

Captain Obvious
02-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Are you happy with your rendering performance? If not, wait until you can afford a dual G5.

pencilpusher
02-20-2005, 09:36 AM
I'd always be happier with something faster. My main issue is will a radeon 9800 speed up my system significantly or will things be too cpu/system bound to make the investment worth it.

policarpo
02-20-2005, 11:32 AM
A new graphics card really won't have that much effect on LW on the Mac. You're better off saving up for a new machine down the line.

pencilpusher
02-20-2005, 12:21 PM
That's what I wanted to know.

Thanks

gazmon
02-21-2005, 05:05 AM
I agree
I replaced my 32mb MX card with a 128MB Geforce 4 TI a year ago andnoticed only a very slight difference in the amount of polygons modellor could display smoothly, certainly not worth the upgrade cash!
Processor speed is what we all need! I'm now saving up for a new G5.

pencilpusher
02-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Could this change with core video in Tiger? Someone mentioned to me that core video shifts more of the load to the video Card.

eblu
02-21-2005, 07:30 AM
in a word... no.
what you meant to say was core image.
and core image to be of any use to an application must be used specifically by the application. The application must call core image, and ask it for its help. Since core image doesn't exist on the Pc and Lightwave is a cross platform app, then there will be no core image for Lightwave. in addition, core image doesn't appear to have much to offer Lightwave. its possible that the image filters in lightwave can use core image, but for the most part, lightwave just can't benefit from core image even if it was using it.

as of this moment, the processor with the most megahertz is the best way to make Lightwave go fast on a mac.

pencilpusher
02-21-2005, 08:32 AM
as of this moment, the processor with the most megahertz is the best way to make Lightwave go fast on a mac.

Right. Well, it looks like this year I'm saving for the fastest g5 that I can get.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

marinello2003
02-28-2005, 01:59 PM
I'd always be happier with something faster. My main issue is will a radeon 9800 speed up my system significantly or will things be too cpu/system bound to make the investment worth it.

The problem with upgrading the graphics card on the G4 is that you don't have 8XAGP interface (at least mine had only a 4X AGP slot). So the real benifit of having the faster 9800Pro card was lost except for the additional VRAM which allowed me to run dual monitors. I have since upgraded to a Dual 2.5 with the ATI X800 card. It is like another universe compared to the G4. Personally, if you have the budget to upgrade to the G5 I would do that, because even the stock graphics card has 128MB ram and would be faster than the 9800Pro card in your G4 due to the slower AGP4X slot. Not to mention the overall performance increase is incredible compared to the G4. You are in for a sweet surprise if you decide to get the G5.

-Brent

pencilpusher
02-28-2005, 05:24 PM
I have ... a Dual G5 2.5 with the X800 Pro Mac

Ah, that is what I am drooling over right now. We just bought a new house so my funds are low right now but in a few months I hope to get one. Can't wait!!!! How is the X800? From the things I've read it sounds like a pretty amazing card.

Cheers

Captain Obvious
02-28-2005, 05:36 PM
How is the X800? From the things I've read it sounds like a pretty amazing card.
In LightWave, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the X800 and a 9600XT for the most part, since it's mostly CPU-limited... But for just about everything else, it's awesome. I hear the 6800 is actually margainly faster at Motion, but the X800 is better at just about everything else. In one test I saw (Halo at 1920x1600, max FSAA, max everything), the X800 was something along the lines of four times faster than the 6800 Ultra.

I think it uses less power and is quieter, too.