PDA

View Full Version : New tutorial

Silkrooster
02-19-2005, 11:17 PM
I created a tutorial for beginner's on how to build a birdhouse. The file is a streaming quicktime that is slightly over 60MB in size and runs about 16 minutes. Once you see some of the bloops and blunders you'll see why I am providing it for free. Anyway, it does provide some useful information especially for beginners. This is one of my first tutorials so, please excuse the errors made in the video. This is still a good learning excersize.
Should you have any trouble with the codec, please let me know and I can provide more information. The web address is http://www.silkrooster.com/tutorials.htm
Silk

lesterfoster
02-20-2005, 02:04 AM
Nice to see some new tutorials. On the first one, there was no audio, on the second one. It worked just fine for me as a QuickTime. But on the third one. I had audio, but no video.

Has any one had this problem, Or is it just my computer?

Captain Obvious
02-20-2005, 04:50 AM
Why not just have it as a regular .mov so you can download it and watch it in whatever player you like? :confused:

Silkrooster
02-20-2005, 02:43 PM
The first video states it has no sound, and the third may require another codec to be loaded onto your system in order to view the video. It can be found on Techsmith web site at http://www.techsmith.com/download/ensharpendecoder.asp
I decided on making the quicktime as a streaming video to help those with slower connections because it is over 60MB in size.
My server does not support wmv streaming yet, but if there are enough requests, I can upload a the wmv file that can be downloaded to view.
I also decided on quicktime so that MAC and PC's can view. This file was created on a PC if any MAC users are having trouble.
I appologize for any inconveniences.
Silk

Captain Obvious
02-21-2005, 01:02 PM
How does making it streaming help those with limited bandwidth? If anything, having it downloadable would make it easier for them, since they can then ask a friend with broadband to download it and load it on a CD or something such. ;)

Silkrooster
02-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Well, I was more thinking about people who can't wait for the whole thing to download, before viewing it. Besides, copying video's even free one's for friends is a violation of the copyright law, whether it is stated on the site or not. Since this is free I won't complain too much, but out of courtesy I would prefer that permission is requested to anyone who wants to copy said video's for other's. You do have permission to make back up copies for your self though.
I have not put up such documentation on my web site yet, as I am not prepared to sell any commercially.
If enough requests are made I can provide a file that is downloadable and or replace said video.
Your vote for downloadable videos vs. streamable video's is noted and will be taken into concideration. I appreciate feedback like this so I know more of what the public wants.
Silk

lesterfoster
02-21-2005, 06:22 PM
I like and appreciate what you are doing for the lightwave community. I don't care wether it is streaming or downloadable. I just like watching videos on how to use lightwave.

Keep up the good work.

Silkrooster
02-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Thank you for the encouragement. That goes a long way to help me strive to become better. Both at using Lightwave and to create tutorials. I admit there are a lot of things I still need to learn, but what I do know, I love to share with others. Hopefully my next video will be better yet. One of my biggest concerns at the moment is getting the file size down to accomodate dial up users. I don't like leaving any one out. Oh well, live and learn.
Silk