PDA

View Full Version : Colour Cycling

tonyg
04-17-2003, 09:17 AM
Hi all;

In the day, LW used to have support for colour cycling (or color cycling), a la DPaint. I recall that I could set an image to sycle through the indexed colour values, thius making cool animated textures that would be tricky with any other method.

Anyone know where that went?

Tony

mattclary
04-17-2003, 11:03 AM
Couldn't you use an envelope on the color channel?

tonyg
04-22-2003, 07:08 AM
Um, no, I don;t think enveloping the colour channel will do it... though maybe enveloping a gradient could be made to work... I will have to ponder that one.

The 'ol colour cycling allowed for the incremental bumping of an index for a paletted image -- so in a greyscale image, each pixel would get a bit darker in each frame until it hit 0, and then it would wrap back to white and begin the progression again (or dark - to - light). Why? Well, this allowed me to create cool wavelt patterns around objects for one -- a gradient created with a 256 colour palette with a shape-conform fill (around an existing object's top-down screen cap) would give an exact bump map image, which, when colour cycled, caused wavelets to travel away from an object, in accordance with it's shape, if you follow my drift...