PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave compability

Dream Designer
02-19-2005, 11:32 AM
I'll be buying a new pc *laptop* and i would like to know if lightwave will run with this specs:

Inspiron 6000
Celeron M Processor 370 (1.50GHz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB)
RAM: 512MB Shared DDR2 SDRAM 1 Dimm
Video Card: Integrated Intel Media Accelerator 900 Graphics
HD:80GB Hard Drive

Should I go for it or wait for a better one?

Thanks in Advance

robewil
02-19-2005, 01:45 PM
While that would work, I would definitely stay away from a Celeron, it's FPU (Floating Point Unit) is minimal and raytracing and radiosity rendering times would be ridiculously long. Also, it would be wise to go with one with an ATI or NVidia graphics card. Stay away from the ones that use shared memory.

Dream Designer
02-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Oh, well Im buying it more for school stuff though(Office,AutoCad,Dreamweaver & Photoshop), but i wanna have lightwave in it for the times im not home i can use it. I always have my desktop to back me up if i need to render anything ^_^. Also whats a Graphic Card that "shares" memory :confused:

JohnMarchant
02-19-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi I use an Inspiron 8500, 2.5 ghz, 1 gig Memory, 64 Mb graphics Care (nvidia). Runs Lightwave a treat. As previously said avoid celeron processors and also ATI cards, Try to get a Pentium 4 and Nvidia Card.

All depends on what you want to spend, also dont forget if you want to use photoshop or any graphics related programs i would really not get a celeron.

Hope this helps

JohnMarchant
02-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Sorry Forgot an integrated graphics card is on that uses onboard memory it does not have its own dedicated memory purely for the graphics, look for a 32 or 64 Mb Nvidia graphics card, there good and dont have the problems that some ATI have been having especially with drivers and OpenGL

Regards, John

Dream Designer
02-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Well my father *my financial aid* lol said hes buying me a Compaq R3425US, this are the specs for this one

Processor: AMD Athon XP-M Processor 3000+ with PowerNow
• Processor speed: 1.6GHz
• Bus speed: up to 1600MHz
• Cache memory—L2 Cache: 256KB
• Memory: 512MB DDR SDRAM (2x256MB) at 333MHz; maximum memory 1280MB DDR SDRAM (1x256, 1x1024MB)
Video graphics and video memory: NVIDIA GeForce 4 420 Go with 32MB DDR (dedicated)
• Hard drive: 60GB (4200 RPM)

Though i dont like Athon that much *nerver used it* but i think this ones is waaay better, than the previous one. Right?

Captain Obvious
02-19-2005, 03:55 PM
While that would work, I would definitely stay away from a Celeron, it's FPU (Floating Point Unit) is minimal and raytracing and radiosity rendering times would be ridiculously long. Also, it would be wise to go with one with an ATI or NVidia graphics card. Stay away from the ones that use shared memory.

I'd just like to point out that it's a Celeron M, not the regular Celeron, so it doesn't suck as badly... ;) But you are however quite right. The Pentium M, and slightly moreso the Celeron M, have rather poor floating point performance. Neither is optimal for Lightwave work. But check this (http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2129) out. The Pentium M is very fast for its clock frequency, and the Celeron M doesn't trail far behind, in most things... But if you scroll all the way to the bottom, you'll see that the 'M' processors just aren't very good at Lightwave rendering.

The Pentium M's strong side is that many of the laptops using it can get like six or seven hours worth of battery time. If you want speedy renders, you're much better off with an Athlon64 or AthlonXP laptop, or even Pentium 4 (but P4 laptops get like fifteen seconds of battery time...).

CF01
02-19-2005, 10:53 PM
I recently got a compaq custom order R3000 notebook. I'm happy with it. LW runs great. If you need some help with it, head on over to www.r3000forums.com