PDA

View Full Version : How do I download 8.2?

MarkG
02-19-2005, 10:45 AM
Ok, I have a full legitimate copy of 8.0 with dongle and license file and all that nonsense. I get a message from Newtek Europe saying that there's an 8.2 upgrade, so I follow the link. Click on the download link.

Now, just to download the upgrade to software I've paid a significant amount of money for I have to enter all kinds of info including the Lightwave serial number. Ok, five minutes later I actually manage to find the serial number by going through old emails until I find the one with the 8.0 license file: if you're going to ask people for this information to download, it would be good if you did what most other programs do and actually put it in the 'about' box so we can find it without wasting time hunting around for numbers we haven't used in months.

So now I hit 'send request'. Far from actually, like, taking me to the download page so I can actually download the upgrade for the software I've paid for, it sends an email to some random person at newtek... and that's it. I'm now sitting here with no clue whatsoever as to how I'm supposed to download this upgrade.

I'm sorry, but what is this? If I was a pirate I presume I could just go to some 'warez' site and download a cracked version in minutes... why are you making your paying customers jump through hoops to get upgrades for software that they have paid you for? How am I supposed to get this download?

Lottmedia
02-19-2005, 11:25 AM
All you have to do is go to the Lightwave page, click on Downloads, there is a link to 8.2 there. If you're not logged in you will have to log in with whatever password you regestered 8.0 with. There you go, Bob's your uncle.

BTW, Believe me, the security is not as bad as it could be. There's much worse, just try some of the training videos security procedures (nightmare!) But quite frankly I find NT's answer better than most. Pirates are abundant (even in the forums) and I don't think NT is unreasonable by trying to secure their product. In the end it helps us all and keeps LW's low price low.

Cheers

J-Rod

MarkG
02-19-2005, 01:53 PM
"There you go, Bob's your uncle."

No, he ain't. I don't have a 'password that I registered with'... I tried downloading from the Newtek site instead of Newtek Europe, gave it the email adress that I registered with at Newtek Europe and it tells me that there is no account for that email address.

"I don't think NT is unreasonable by trying to secure their product"

Neither do I, but this won't 'secure their product', it's just annoying the heck of at least one of their paying customers (and more, I suspect, since I found a couple of other people posting on the web to say that they can't download it), while pirates are downloading cracked copies from 'warez sites'.

JohnMarchant
02-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Hey Mark, If your a European Customer, you cannot download from the main Newtek Site, it wont recognise you, same happened to me, you must download from Newtek Europe.

It can be a pain, ive know other people have problems downloading not just the 8.2 release, but as said its no where near as bad as some, ive had worse just to get a plugin to work.

If all else fails contact BeeVee or someone at Newtek Europe,

Regards, John

ACLOBO
02-19-2005, 09:49 PM
:D Ok, here is an easy solution for keeping track of that nasty serial number. Get a pen, and....... write it in the case for your lightwave CD's. I know, that is a REAL pain, but at least you know it will be with your install CD's right?

As a really industrious person, I tend to write it down in the case, on my dongle and even make a couple of hard copies to file.

:-P

-Adrian

MarkG
02-20-2005, 07:15 AM
Even better: I just tried 'downloading' using Internet Explorer (latest version from Windows Update) in case the site used some broken scripting that didn't work with Mozilla and after I click 'submit request' and send the email, Internet Explorer blows away.

Great web site, guys.

BeeVee
02-20-2005, 01:50 PM
The serial number is on a sticker on your LightWave box - both the one containing the CDs and the main box, if you bought it with a manual.

Onto your problem downloading the update. Go to our download page (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/support/download.html) and click on the first link to the LightWave 8.2 update. Once you have filled out the form asking for details to make sure you have the right to the update, you will be taken to a page advising you that the download has started and you should get a file window coming up asking you what you wish to do. I've just checked and I can download the update from home here using Internet Explorer 6 and Mozilla Firefox on the PC with no trouble (I don't have a Mac at home), so you should have no difficulty, although Safari on the Mac is known to have problems with FTP protocol downloads (you don't say what sort of machine you have). Clear your cache, cookies and history and try again.

B