PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and Matrox Parhelia

Wickster
02-19-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure if this question had been asked before but has anybody here tried using Matrox Parhelia graphics card with Lightwave?

I'm going to replace my old ATI Radeon 9000 card because of some display problems especially using a dual monitor setup. I don't have much money so I was thinking of getting an Nvidia 5700 with 256MB for $95. But I saw one demo where this one workstation was running a Triple monitor setup and Lightwave using the Matrox Parhelia graphics card.

I already know that Nvidia has the most compatibily with Lightwave but I just want to know how the performance is with the Matrox card.

Thanks in advance!

-NG-
02-19-2005, 05:31 PM
For what i've heard so far is that matrox cards are good cards.

I don't know if there goof for LW though but for gaming i've heard there good. :)

Architook
02-19-2005, 11:37 PM
The Parhelia is over 3 years old, and has never been updated. I'd be careful since it's likely you'll see poor driver support and updates.

It's not a fast card, but that doesn't matter much for Lightwave. Fast screen updates in LightWave come from a fast CPU, not a fast video card.

Triplehead is cool though.
The latest fun is quad head using two NVidia cards in "SLI" mode. Haven't seen that myself but sounds like fun.

Lamont
02-20-2005, 12:51 AM
It's not a fast card, but that doesn't matter much for Lightwave. Fast screen updates in LightWave come from a fast CPU, not a fast video card. I would not say that. I had to downgrade my videocard from a 5950 Ultra 256mb to a Ti4800 128mb and the difference is very noticeable. And Photoshop is hell to work in now...

Matrox card sounds good, but I am always in the nVidia camp.

-NG-
02-20-2005, 01:58 AM
The Parhelia is over 3 years old

So they never released a new card?

I'm also in the nvidia branche. :)

Wickster
02-20-2005, 05:31 PM
thanks for the replies,

i'm now also an nvidia guy or at least going to be. i had to learn the hard way after using ATI's card and having to deal with constant display problems like actually crashing the card itself (very annoying).

Originally Posted by Architook
The Parhelia is over 3 years old

yeah, matrox never released a new card since, i guess they're more focused on their non-linear video editing cards, the RT series. pretty much the reason why i would consider a 3-year old card is that it's cheap now. plus i have 2 extra crt monitors here.

another thing is that i'm waiting for the AGP version of nvidia's 6200 which is said to be less than a $100 so i might hold off till then.

thanks again

mattclary
02-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Dude, I'd rather use an ATI than a Matrox, and that's saying something.

WizCraker
02-20-2005, 10:29 PM
The Parhelia is over 3 years old, and has never been updated.

Strange cause I could of sworn that this Press Release (http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/digital_design/news/press_rel/2005/parhelia_dl256.cfm) was from this past January. Is this not year 2005?

Wickster
02-21-2005, 01:20 AM
hey, know what, i think i will stick to my plans on getting an nvidia card. i just realized thaat i can't afford to experiment on how Lightwave behaves with matrox cards. and if it starts creating display errors again i definitely wont have enough money to get a replacement.

thanks to all who posted you've all been a great help!

mattclary
02-21-2005, 05:05 AM
Smart man! You can't really go wrong with nVidia. :cool:

Dodgy
02-21-2005, 06:39 AM
I ran with matrox cards for a while, and they were okay, ONCE they got their opengl support sorted out, but that took a while. I switched to an nvidia card (I had a brief dalliance with ATI but found their drivers atrocious) and haven't looked back.

badllarma
02-21-2005, 08:51 AM
I read quiet a bit about how bad the the ATI cards are but I've run 9600 and 9800 and had no problems at all :)
I suppose it depends on sytem spec etc but seems ok to me :D

Wickster
02-21-2005, 02:50 PM
i don't think there's something wrong with the ATI cards themselves its just that their drivers were not really compatible with Lightwave. Back on LW7.5 I remember having to always reposition my palette menus everytime I start LW because for some reason they keep moving to the upper left corner of my monitor 1, when it's suppose to be on monitor 2.

Then ATI released a new revision of their driver and I thought it would help, so I upgraded the driver. Turns out, when I had heavy OpenGL stuff on LW Layout or Modeler my screen would freeze then *BAM!!!* my monitor turns off. i get a blank screen for 15secs, then it resets the display and gives me an error saying something like the catalyst display driver had just recovered from a display error (something like that, i don't remember). It doesn't crash the system, just the display. My 2nd monitor broke because of that, i think, cause it kept turning on and off my monitors everytime the display crashes. so i switched back to the old driver.

So now i'm looking for a good nvidia card. another question: will those nvidia gamer cards 5000 and 6000 series work well with LW? or is it much better to try and get a quadro (non-FX) card?

thanks again.